installing aftermarket radio help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing aftermarket radio help!

nik0313

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
Hello, I have installed a new aftermarket stereo in my 1994 ford emplorer, but now there is a popping sound when i change radio stations and my front speakers sound muffled. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I did install it with a metra amplified harness. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio ground or antenna connection. Just double check that everything has a good solid connection.
Good and solid meaning you can tug on the wires and they won't break apart.

I checked and all the connections look good. The aftermarket radio is a pioneer x3600. The back speakers work just fine. Could my speakers be bad or have a bad connection to the factory amplifier?

Back speakers work but front doesn't?

Ensure fade on the unit is set properly. Check the headunits out pins to front speakers with a multimeter to see that it really is putting out signal to the amp.

Sounds more like a headunit fault at this point than the amp.

If you using RCA outputs, make sure they are set to full range. They come out of the box set up as subwoofer outputs. And dis you use a 1.5 ohm resistor on amp turn on lead?

Back