Installing Atlas II, costom "crossmember" or body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Atlas II, costom "crossmember" or body lift?

Bobbed Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
Essex county NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I'd like the to know what you choose to do and what type of "crossmemeber" was fabed?

(I noticed rick has a full skid plat under his X)

A-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No cross member is needed. The Atlas unit is like your stock transfer case in that it bolts to the 4wd adapter off the tranny. The tranny mount on the underside of the t-case adapter is what supports it.

Now, the only mods needed to fit the Atlas in your Explorer is to cut a whole for the shifters. No other floorboard modifications are needed. I know. I just got done installing one a few weeks ago.

I have a 95 ranger and read that a 1" body lift or custom tranny mount are needed?

I just installed the Atlas 2 case. I do NOT have a body lift and am running the stock tranny crossmember.

The only hole I had to cut out was for the shifters.

CoryL, are you using the stock tranny crossmember with the c5? Isn't the c5 about 7 inches or so shorter than the A4LD?

I have the mazda 5 speed

I'm using the stock cross-member that came with the A4LD.

All 4.0Ls use the same tranny crossmember though.

The tranny crossmember is pushed about 5"-6" over the A4LD.

The Mazda should be the same length as the A4LD and if it is a 4.0L have the same tranny crossmember.

The top of my AtlasII hit the bottom of the floor. I needed to either fab the crossmember to be lower than the original or use a body lift. I opted for the body lift. It's just one of those things, just like tires I guess. Jefe can run 35's, but I can't without cutting. Cory didn't have to do anything, but I needed to.:confused:

Looks like my support will remain stock also, did any one go to 3" drive shafts or stay wih the 2.5" shafts?

Back