Installing civilian console into 2013 FPIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing civilian console into 2013 FPIU

seatflipper

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FPIU
Just bought a 2011-2015 XLT console for my 2013 FPIU with rear climate and MP3/USB inputs. Can someone who's installed a civilian console into their Explorer please do me a huge favor and give a write up for the installation? I'm assuming the OEM police mounting plate itself will need to go, but unsure about hardware beyond that. Carrying over my phone inputs and 12V should be easy enough, but what about the physical installation/accent lighting wiring/rear HVAC control hookup? Basically need the idiot's guide to installing a civilian console into an FPIU from out of the shipping box to finished. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, if anyone has the 3D printer file for that shifter cutout filler that made the rounds a few months ago, the original designer is currently MIA and I'd greatly appreciate a copy of it so I can have one printed. Thanks much

Just bought a 2011-2015 XLT console for my 2013 FPIU with rear climate and MP3/USB inputs. Can someone who's installed a civilian console into their Explorer please do me a huge favor and give a write up for the installation? I'm assuming the OEM police mounting plate itself will need to go, but unsure about hardware beyond that. Carrying over my phone inputs and 12V should be easy enough, but what about the physical installation/accent lighting wiring/rear HVAC control hookup? Basically need the idiot's guide to installing a civilian console into an FPIU from out of the shipping box to finished. Thanks
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature, I found the following. Hope it is of some help. There was a link to the instructions in another post but the link no longer works.
Explorer 2nd row console install
2nd row console

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks much for looking but I’m hoping to find instructions to install the center console between the front seats. Thanks

Hi Peter, thanks much for looking but I’m hoping to find instructions to install the center console between the front seats. Thanks
My mistake. After reading your post the first time my thoughts automatically shifted to the 2nd row console. :(

Peter

There's not much to the install. Once you remove the small PIU console at the bottom of the dash, the small metal plate it mounts to under the dash, and the large metal plate on the floor, you can drop the full center console in place and see how it fits.

On mine, I did not source the front mounting plate and I only used one mounting plate on the floor (just in front of RCM). My 17 had tabs on the floor to secure the rear of the console already in place. I sourced some screws from the local hardware store, transferred the input plate and connections, and extended the wiring for the powerpoint under the armrest. You may have to find a switched power lead for the lighting if you want that. Not sure if you are going to be able to hook up the rear HVAC controls or not (don't think the wiring is there for it on the PIU harness). I installed a PIU center console with no shifter and no rear hvac controls, so it was a bit less work. Once you get the full center console installed, you can snap the finish trim panels in place to complete it. All can be done without removing the front seats.

KayGee is correct as just did mine. I converted the rear hvac controls to a couple of power points and lighting. Did the same for the front data slot. Basically re-did most of the wiring as all my console needed was constant power, switched power and lights feed.

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll figure it out as I go and post if I have any questions. How did you do the conversion on the back of the console, and how did you do the switched power and lights feed? Don't need info on converting the front data points as my truck has Sync so I'll be using those. Thanks much

I installed a center console into my piu and wired everything up including the rear HVAC.. it's quite extensive. And you need actual pins to do it. The factory harness plugged into the HVAC module is missing the pins that the rear control would connect to.. as other said you can add extra power sources there if wanted. The wiring of the shifter and lights are simple.. 12v is pretty much your 2 previous ones. USB and aux stay the same. And I just left my remote transmitter up front under the dash where it originally plugged in.

I just bought my 2013 and am trying to get it up to speed. One thing is that it is missing the center console. It has the connections. I found a few civilian consoles on Ebay, but one vendor said the mounts aren't the same. Anyone have ideas?

Both front and rear mounts worked just fine in my 2015.

I just bought my 2013 and am trying to get it up to speed. One thing is that it is missing the center console. It has the connections. I found a few civilian consoles on Ebay, but one vendor said the mounts aren't the same. Anyone have ideas?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. There are a few others as well. Good luck.

Peter

The civi console has three metal brackets that mount to the tunnel and the console screws into them. Make sure to grab the brackets when you remove the console at the junkyard. On my 14 PIU I had to remove a metal bracket that was up under the dash and was not used for the civi console. Wiring is completely different. I removed the civi wiring and redid the whole console. Tapped into the 12v power feed under the dash to wire in the 12v outlets and lights. I removed the rear a/c controls, blocked them off, and will eventually install additional outlets back there when I get time. Wiring is not plug and play. You will have to re-wire. Also don't forget to 3d print the shifter hole and traction control knob hole. The plans are on this forum if you search around. My local library printed them for $5 for me.

Going to get 2016 PIU. Where did you guys get your consoles?

I called around local junkyards till I found a wrecked 14 Explorer XLT. Took the whole interior, spare tire, and roof bars for $900 and installed in mine. Also grabbed wiring harnesses as needed because they are different between civilian models and police. I.e. no power to passenger seat. Seat heat power not wired. Console connectors different. 2nd and third row dome light wiring. Etc.

KayGee is correct as just did mine. I converted the rear hvac controls to a couple of power points and lighting. Did the same for the front data slot. Basically re-did most of the wiring as all my console needed was constant power, switched power and lights feed.
Question where did you get your signal wire for the lights from the car I know which wire turns on the consul lights but where do you pick a signal up from the vehicle?

Question where did you get your signal wire for the lights from the car I know which wire turns on the consul lights but where do you pick a signal up from the vehicle?
I have the same question for a project I am working on. I'm putting dash lights in the area where the 12v power points and SYNC connection reside. My original plan was to simply use a 12v "key on" source, but would much rather have them come on and off with the headlights. (Perhaps a relay and trigger from the headlight switch?)

I have the same question for a project I am working on. I'm putting dash lights in the area where the 12v power points and SYNC connection reside. My original plan was to simply use a 12v "key on" source, but would much rather have them come on and off with the headlights. (Perhaps a relay and trigger from the headlight switch?)
I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow but I ended up pulling a lead from the headlight switch so that my illumination of the center consul area lights up too

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow but I ended up pulling a lead from the headlight switch so that my illumination of the center consul area lights up too
Thanks..that would be helpful. My OCD would prefer my new LEDs only work with the headlights.

Off topic alert - illuminating the area above the 12v power points and SYNC plug with some LEDs...even found a dimmer so that the brightness is appropriate....

Back