• Register Today It's free!

Installing Class III hitch on 05

super4door

Reaction score
City, State
Muscatine Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
Has anyone found a aftermarket class III hitch to replace the 1 1/4 unit? I want a unit that would remove the 1 1/4 inch hitch and put a 2 inch unit on. All I can find from manufactureres like Reese are 2 inch units that bolt under the 1 1/4 inch hitches. Any sugestions would be great. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just looked and could only find a bolt-on design that looked like hell. Just baught an entire hitch from a dealer for $210 and bolted it on, and it looks perfect.

Did you replace the 1 1/4" hitch or did it mount under the existing hitch?

The local Ford Garage quoted me almost $300 and they told me that they would send it to a local welding shop to have the 1.25" hitch cut out and a 2" hitch put in.

I couldn't find an aftermarket hitch to replace the 1.25". I don't like the look of having two hitches either.

the hitch wouldn't be cut off. As I understand it's a bolt on unit.

Until a company comes out with a replacement hitch, if you don't want dual hitches, your gonna have to get the factory hitch installed.

I looked around for a long time to find my truck the way I wanted with the class 3 tow hitch. The tow package option is fairly rare around here.

Back