Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

<side>
Peter, please don't confuse output (measured in lumens) with color temperature (measured in Kelvin). I've seen you quote color temps on numerous occasions in response to a question about light output and brightness.

Brightness is measured in lumens (simplistically). The higher the number the brighter something is to the human eye.

Color temperature is measured in Kelvin. Somewhat more complicated to explain but lower numbers indicate 'warmer' hues (red/orange/yellow) and higher numbers indicate 'cooler' hues (white/blue/purple). 'Daylight' is not one specific color temperature as it varies throughout the day and depends on the weather but is generally accepted to be ~5500K.

Varying color temperature at a specific output will affect the perceived brightness of something to the human eye, but it is misleading to state that higher (or lower) color temperatures are 'less bright' as you absolutely can have a brighter lights at those color temps. If you want to discuss brightness you need to find a measure of a bulb's output in lumens.
</side>

At the end of the day the headlight design in this model of Explorer just isn't very good and that will be the limiting factor with regard to light output down the road and ultimate visibility.

The best option for halogen equipped vehicles is an aftermarket HID upgrade kit. I got mine from coolbulbs.com (35w 6000K) and their kit is high quality and fully plug and play. It took me less than an hour to install (and I was going slow) and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. You don't need to make any adjustments to the vehicle's wiring, simply trim the dust cap on the back on the headlight unit and find somewhere to mount the ballast and starter. Light output is similar to, if not better than, my old HID equipped 2012 Limited.

The next best alternative is an aftermarket incandescent bulb upgrade. There are lots of bulb options out there but all incandescent bulbs work on the same principal of heating a wire filament in a gas filled bulb. The light comes from the glowing wire and the gas is there to allow it to glow hotter and brighter without burning out. Making a bulb brighter requires over-driving it which reduces its lifespan because more heat is produced. Read some of the 'lighting' forums like candlepowerforums.com for some real educated input and analysis. Bulb manufacturers try and fake the look of HID bulbs by adjusting their color with bulb coatings simply because it's fashionable and perceived as 'high end'. These coatings only serve to reduce the brightness of the bulb. 'Xenon' bulbs may use xenon gas but it is a marketing gimmick used to fool buyers into thinking they are equivalent to HID bulbs in color and/or output but this is false. The light still comes from a glowing filament, not from a ball of plasma (as in true HID bulbs). As others have stated, aftermarket bulbs are a perfectly viable option and may improve light output but they can be expensive ($60+) and wont last as long as either standard bulbs or a good quality HID upgrade.

Considering my HID upgrade was the same cost as two sets of aftermarket bulbs, or approximately 2 years worth of replacements, it was a simple decision for an improved solution.
I am by now means an expert in this field so I rely on what I've read. From what I've read on the Internet, and you know that if it is on the Internet it has to be true ;), is that 4300k is as close to natural daylight as you can get. As the Kelvin (k) numbers go up from there, the light output (lumens) decreases.
Also, from experience, the upgraded bulbs I installed in my '09 Highlander were as good as the HID lights I have now. The HID's were perhaps my biggest disappointment when I got the Explorer. It has been said that the 2013 model HID's are better, but not having driven one, I don't know for sure.
Since mine is a lease that will be returned in March 2015 I guess I'll have to wait and see. :)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Harley#356

Please educate me on how I would determine the shielding quality of these HID kits. I dont want issues with my AM/FM radio signal as you describe but looking at these kits the other members have purchased I cannot assess the quality of the shielding.

I haven't tried many brands because I stick to the name brand ones and I've had good luck. I had McCullough HIDs on my '94 Stealth and had zero issues with any radio reception loss. I've got TRS HIDs on my '13 Sport and '12 Raptor and the only radio reception loss is extremely distant stations that barely came in to begin with, but all the local stations are still every bit as crisp and clear.

I'd steer clear of ANY ebay light bulbs, and any HID kits in the $50-$100 range. $150-$200 with a name brand company and you should be pretty safe.

Just to chime in on this, I have 6k bulbs and ballast from cool bulbs installed on my 13 sport. No issues what so ever. The one thing I did have to install was the additional wiring harness, but that was about a 5 minute procedure. No interference anywhere and everything works great. I used the 35w ballast and very rarely have oncoming drivers flash their lights at me. Granted the packages coolbulbs.com sells are pricey, but you get top quality equipment.

Just to chime in on this, I have 6k bulbs and ballast from cool bulbs installed on my 13 sport. No issues what so ever. The one thing I did have to install was the additional wiring harness, but that was about a 5 minute procedure. No interference anywhere and everything works great. I used the 35w ballast and very rarely have oncoming drivers flash their lights at me. Granted the packages coolbulbs.com sells are pricey, but you get top quality equipment.
Out of interest, what additional wiring harness did you have to install?

I also would like to know what additional wiring hardness?

So the SilverStar Ultra's would likely get me the closest to the OEM HID's while staying Halogen and not risking electrical problems.
Color temperature wise - yes it will look more like HID than other incandescents. I have silverstars in my other car and I also have HID foglights - they are quite similar in color temp visually (but not exact match), much bettert than stock halogens. They are still not as bright as equivalent HIDs, but better than stock halogens.

Now the rated power on these aftermarket bulbs is actually hard to utilize by just swapping bulbs. Stock vehicle wiring is usually not sized generously and drops voltage even at the stock power levels - at higher power (bulb specs) it drops more voltage which means you don't actually achieve the rated power levels.

There are four primary effects from this:

1. It tends to protect the stock wiring from too much current which can overload the wires (especially where routed bundled in looms) as well as connection points and switch terminal degradation issues. Now you still do have higher circuit power & current so all these are still possible... but not as bad as they might have been without the voltage drops across the wiring.

Power in an incandescent bulb is ~proportional to V^1.6 due to the filament resistance variation with temperature.

So A drop in voltage causes a larger drop in power (but not as a square law for a bulb).

2. You don't achieve the maximum brightness in lumens the bulb could produce at its rated voltage. Brightness is ~proportional to V^3.4 so voltage plays a major effect here and you loose brightness rapidly with reduced voltage.

3. Bulb life is reduced for high output bulbs since they are both manufactured and sub-selected to have tighter tolerances but then are run much closer to their limits than general market bulbs. Small deteriorations in the filament over time will cause them to burn out rapidly.

Bulb life is however ~inversely proportional to V^12-16. So small reductions in voltage due to wiring losses increase bulb life dramatically - as in this case.

4. Color temperature is measured at the rated point but it varies with filament temperture and that varies with power which varies with voltage.

Color temperature is proportional to V^0.42 so color temperature will reduce slightly with voltage reduction.

So there are risks to the vehicle wiring from bulb upgrades, but they are different risks. If you just plug a higher rated or a specially selected (e.g. silverstar) bulb in you will also have these effects limiting you from achieving the specified ratings. Vehicle damage is also possible depending on the power levels you select.

Alternative:

Local HL relays fed with big wires from the alternator and to the lamps, controlled by the stock lighting wiring can protect all the stock configuration car circuits, reduce all these voltage reduction effects significantly and get you better brightness, higher color temperature (and consequently much lower bulb life!).

Other considerations: I'd be surprised if the lens/reflector optics are the same between halogen and HID. The focal points and shape are very different between dual filament halogen and single arc HID. Swapping a HID light source into an optical solution for Halogen usually results in non-optimal performance - most often compromising high beam performance. Now if the Explorer halogens really are single filament with a high beam movable shutter this may be less apparent (possibly even mostly designed out). But then there is some risk that higher power dissipation levels will damage the shield movement mechanisms.

I think upgrading to better halogens is actually a fine start - but local relays would make this a much more effective solution, and reduce risks of damaging the car wiring. Local relays will likely make even stock halogen lights brighter.

In my other car with local HL relays, uprated Silverstar halogen headlights in eCode pattern - HIDs do not compare well - the brightness is higher - but the focus & cutoff is terrible on high beam and poor even on lowbeam.

Uprated higher color temp halogens (like silverstars) are just perfect on both... now this is in old style reflector/lenses that are designed optimally for Halogen only.

So it all depends. Uprated halogens are far cheaper than HID, local relays can be inexpensive if you implement yourself, or more similar to HID pricing if you buy the available kits.

Alan

I also would like to know what additional wiring hardness?

Im wondering if he bought the LED bulb kit instead of the HID bulb kit. There is an option on the LED page to buy a harness that keeps an idiot light from turning on in your dash when you install these in some import vehicles-not neccesary on the explorers-they dont have bulb warning features. Maybe he made that mistake?

http://www.coolbulbs.com/led-fog-lights.asp

Actually called a resistor.

HID conversion was my first project when I got my 2012 base EX back in november 2011... and i've had no problems at all.
Well, i've had to replace my battery twice so far.... but I dont think thats related...

I surely hope it isnt :D

Just to be short and perfectly clear (don't worry, I'll drone on soon enough), you can get regular-ol'-non-HID-halogens in the same colors (degrees K) as HID bulbs, but they are not anywhere near as bright. Despite what the copy reads, or what kind of housing you use, halogen bulbs will NEVER be as bright as HIDs.

I have "PIAA XTreme White Plus" (highly regarded and $89/pr!!) bulbs in halogen projectors on another vehicle and they are better than the stock halogens, but only because they provide a cleaner, whiter light so it gives the illusion of being brighter than stock bulbs.
According to PIAA's website they are "brilliant white with 'cool-blue' tint", and it lists them around 4000K...in all actuality they are closer to a 5000-6000K color. It also states they are made with "Xtra" technology, which they claim takes a 55w bulb and drives it up to operate at a 110w level. This is all marketing.
A 35w 5000K HID kit installed in the factory housings would be considerably brighter than these bulbs. Also popular (but with a shorter lifespan due to being brighter) is a 55w setup. The 55w 5000K kit is more than twice as bright (more lumens) as the PIAA bulbs, and STILL draws less power to operate than a common halogen bulb.

...food for thought.

Also a quick note on color temps:
3000K - Bright Yellow (typically seen in painfully bright aftermarket fog lights)
4300K - Closest to sunlight and commonly found in stock HID setups. This color has the highest lumen output you can get out of your setup. The only downside is that the light produced has a slight yellow tint to it, so aesthetically it's not as pleasing as some of the white or blue applications.
5000K - Bright White
6000K - White with slight blue
7000K+ - you get deeper, richer blue all the way to purple as the temps go up from here. Just remember, the further away from 4300K you venture...the more your lumen output will decrease. Your mileage may vary on exact colors from different manufacturers, but these temps are the standards...

As for the HD relay, I've only seen this become necessary when dealing with the *AUTO headlight function. Otherwise it seems to be a bit overkill. As far as recommendations go I've had very good luck with the retrofit source (commonly seen as TRS in the forum). They make very high quality HID kits along with retrofit HID projector housings that give a much cleaner and clearer result than what I've seen from the stock Ford projectors. I have a 55w 5000K HID kit from them I'll be installing over the next couple weeks (when I get time) so I'll try to get some pics up ASAP.

Im wondering if he bought the LED bulb kit instead of the HID bulb kit. There is an option on the LED page to buy a harness that keeps an idiot light from turning on in your dash when you install these in some import vehicles-not neccesary on the explorers-they dont have bulb warning features. Maybe he made that mistake?

http://www.coolbulbs.com/led-fog-lights.asp

Actually called a resistor.

Just to shed a little more light on the HD wiring harness topic as well;
Like I said, I've only seen this required for HID users, using the *AUTO headlight function. The reason for that is because the heavy duty harness supplies more power to the headlight module, which is required on start-up (ignition) of the HID bulbs. Almost any reputable HID kit you can order has an option right on the order screen of including an HD harness (at a nominal fee of course). The biggest symptom I've noticed from other people installing a kit without the harness that needed it, is they will only light one side's headlight instead of the pair on start-up due to a lack of available power to ignite the bulbs. This can be a fairly common problem for some...but easily fixed with a $10 harness.
With halogen bulbs when you turn on the switch it draws a certain amount of power to run the bulb...this amount of power is constant. However, with HID bulbs, there is an increased demand for power upon start-up to ignite the contents of the bulb, the required electricity then decreases drastically once the bulb is running to a lower demand than that of it's halogen brother. So the HID bulbs use power in more of a curve than a straight line.

I think the topic of Kelvin and Lumens has been discussed to the point of exhaustion. While I agree with what you posted, it doesn't alter the fact that the compared to the Philips X-treme Power Bulbs I had in my Highlander, the HID lamps in my Explorer were no doubt my biggest disappointment. Hard to notice a difference.

Peter

From articles I have read, HID and Halogen headlamps use different 'housings'.

" Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

"A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Peter

It all about function for me. Brighter is NOT always better.

You can easily be too bright for your optics or have optics just unsuitable for HID bulbs - getting you a very poor focus pattern and spraying lots of light in oncoming motorists eyes. That you like how it looks doesn't count for anything.

This is the stuff of Darwin Awards - if you have better visibiliy at the expense of everyone else on the road you'll be very deserving of the blinded motorist who plows into you - unfortunately he/she won't be so deserving of this preventable fate...

Upgrade responsibily..

There are many things that should't be done... purple & green HIDs - foglights swapped to auxilliary high beam headlights, cheap HIDs crudely adapted into lenses that can't handle them.

Once you have made lighting changes test them against a wall and adjust them before you inflict them on others, if it doesn't work well enough - take it back out.. if you don't know what "well enough" looks like - don't change anything...

Alan

That is why I talked to dealer , they can apparently swap in a set from the limited, I would then have to blackout the headlights myself as they come from factory on the sports

From articles I have read, HID and Halogen headlamps use different 'housings'.

I'm pretty sure the housings for the halogens and the hid options on our Explorers is the same. Also the beam pattern against the garage door was identical when switching from halogens to HID's on my Sport. The light color and intensity are the only things that changed.

I'm pretty sure the housings for the halogens and the hid options on our Explorers is the same. Also the beam pattern against the garage door was identical when switching from halogens to HID's on my Sport. The light color and intensity are the only things that changed.
If the rationale in my post 39 is correct then the housing cannot be the same for both Halogen and HID.

Peter

Well they are both projectors , ive looked at them and agree they look very similar. Even the cutoff looks like an hid (similar to.my 370z) just wrong temp color

Well they are both projectors , ive looked at them and agree they look very similar. Even the cutoff looks like an hid (similar to.my 370z) just wrong temp color
I don't believe I've seen the HID referred to as projectors, just the halogen. At least not on the Ford website.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe I've seen the HID referred to as projectors, just the halogen. At least not on the Ford website.

Peter

THe HIDs are in projector housings, as well as the halogens are in projector housings. That's the only reason I would do a HID retrofit in the explorer, is the halogens are projector housings, so they don't glare and have a weird beam pattern like HID retrofits in a non-projector halogen housing.

Back