• Register Today It's free!

Installing horn

ergibbs

Reaction score
City, State
Costa Rica
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB Explorer
Replacing the horn in my 91 Explorer and the one I bought (the only type I could find) has two prongs while the horn that's installed only has 1. There are no markings on the horn to identify one as pos and the other as neg, if there is such a thing, and I'm not sure how to install it. Any input? Thanks

Likely the only prong is positive and the horn is grounded (negative) where it bolts to the frame or bracket.

and I'm not sure how to install it. Any input? Thanks

I would check with ohmmeter which prong has zero resistance to the horn case, or rather mounting bracket - this one should be negative. Attach your (only) existing wire to the other one.

Note that horn is pretty powerful electric machine so the other prong resistance should read quit low - few Ohms, or even lower. Use ohmmeter which is capable of resolving it.

If both prongs are insulated from the horn case, then I would use trial-and-error method, with scientific approach to it: prepare piece of paper and a pencil to make notes about which way is tried before I forget it.

Also, I would thoroughly check the headroom before trying: jumping up is virtually unavoidable when a horn goes off in your hands.

Last edited:

I think you have to ground the negative wire to a metal bolt or something metal on the engine.

Back