Installing Pioneer stereo in my '03 Mountaineer... Need a few tips. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Pioneer stereo in my '03 Mountaineer... Need a few tips.

Frizzle Fry

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer
So my factory 6-disc changer has conked out for the second time, and I can't seem to get it running again, so I'm upgrading to something a little more modern - a brand new Pioneer head unit with bluetooth and ipod input. That said, I've got a few questions.

1) How can I tell which audio package my vehicle has? I hear there's a difference with the "audiophile" package, which I'm guessing is like Fords "mach" package, and it requires a different install. Any tips?

2) I'm grabbing a Pioneer FH-X720BT... Do I need a dash kit? Wiring harness? Some kind of converter to eliminate "thump"?

3) I intend to use a Metra Axxess ASCW-1 kit to retain my steering wheel controls. Has anyone else used this? Is it hard to set up? Will it auto-detect or am I stuck programming it?

Thanks all, excited to have sound again soon!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last time I used Crutchfield they told me I was getting a "deal" by including a bunch of parts I "needed". I paid $35 more for the stereo than I would have at the local stereo place so I could get $60 worth of "free parts" and it turned out not a single one was necessary for the installation - it was plug and play.

Excellent, thanks so much. Looks like I have the Audiophile system.

Unfortunately my VIN doesn't seem to pull up any details on that other site.

Back