Installing replacement radio with backup camera | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing replacement radio with backup camera

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
We bought my wife a car one year ago that has backup camera in it. I really like the backup camera feature and the bluetooth connectivity with one's cell phone for the hands free features and music playing that is stored on my phone. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of replacement radios that combine the backup camera, phone connectivity, and standard radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been using the Jensen VX7020 for a few years now, very good at entry level pricing. Comes with: Bluetooth, DVD, CD, AM/FM, Pandora, USB, AUX, NAV, and two AVIs. Camera, steering wheel interface, and Sirius XM module you purchase separately.

This is a touchscreen, and is at least as distracting as a smartphone.

There is an analog volume/mute knob.

Mounting in a 3G Explorer, the dash construction provides no shrouding, so sunlight severely reduces screen visibility. If you have the light colored leather seats this is even worse. Obviously the moon roof doesn't help either.

Really nice having the in dash navigation.

If you have an '05 with RES, you will lose functionality there. There is a work around if desired.

That's the basics, good and bad.

Crutchfield, excellent local company, excellent tech support, they have always been very helpful.

There's a lot that do that -- Pioneer, Kenwood, etc etc. You can get good help on chat or the phone with Crutchfield. Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV
Thank you for the reply. I tried to replace a radio in my truck from 1997 and bought a couple of units from Crutchfield to try. I'm guess I'm too old (61) to appreciate (?) the new tech that is used on these replacements radios. My first purchase from them was a Blaupunkt (less than $100). I really don't like how there were perhaps two or three buttons that were used to get through all of the modes. Really, really big PIA. Tuning sensitivity was terrible. Hated it. Crutch was great about returning so I bought a $120 Pioneer unit. Not any better. I'm so used to the old stuff with simple buttons to easily get you want you want.

I have been using the Jensen VX7020 for a few years now, very good at entry level pricing. Comes with: Bluetooth, DVD, CD, AM/FM, Pandora, USB, AUX, NAV, and two AVIs. Camera, steering wheel interface, and Sirius XM module you purchase separately.

This is a touchscreen, and is at least as distracting as a smartphone.

There is an analog volume/mute knob.

Mounting in a 3G Explorer, the dash construction provides no shrouding, so sunlight severely reduces screen visibility. If you have the light colored leather seats this is even worse. Obviously the moon roof doesn't help either.

Really nice having the in dash navigation.

If you have an '05 with RES, you will lose functionality there. There is a work around if desired.

That's the basics, good and bad.

Crutchfield, excellent local company, excellent tech support, they have always been very helpful.
Thanks for the reply. I replied to my first reply about Crutchfield. I'll probably go back to them since their customer service with my other need was top shelf.

I know what you mean Joe -- all the choices of colors is dumb, having to get out the owners manual to reset the clock twice a year is dumb, don't accidentally push the wrong button or good luck getting back to homebase, when in four wheel drive on a dirt road and going to turn down the volume all it takes is one bump and I end up going to modes I don't want to be in, YES, all aggravating. But one of the worst problems, as Dr Doom mentioned, when the sun is bright, you can't read anything on the screen. I own a single DIN aftermarket unit, was thinking about going to a double DIN, but after Dr Dooms comment, I'm not going to do that. FWIW, I'm 64 years old, -- getting away from the problems of not being able to read the screen and the "overly featured" units of today seems impossible. Good luck ps, speaking of Blaupunkt, I once had a $500 one with 'code protection' -- once the unit was removed, you had to input a code to get it to fire back up. It got stolen while at a softball game. I've been going "removeable faceplate" since. I don't know if the thieves got around the code, or maybe it just ended up in the trash.

I bought a used JVC-KW-NT700 for $100 from a friend who used to have it on his mustang (he thought that his mustang is too old for the wiring), I just bought the missing gps antenna/mic and rear view camera from ebay and amazon respectively. I also bought the trim kit and wiring harness that includes the plug for the sub from ebay as a bundle (also very cheap as a bundle) It turned out really good, the unit has an automatic clock taken from the GPS, so no need to adjust the clock when disconnecting the battery. Bluetooth for phone and music works awesome, it has a tilt feature on the display (so visibility can be adjusted) Speed signal and Reverse signal are all in the harness so it's easy to wire the extra wiring needed for the GPS to sync with the speed of the car and for rear view camera activation (it needs the reverse signal to activate) The GPS has a feature to warn you if you're over the speed limit on certain highways, so you'll be surprised.. Aside from making it look cool it sound better than the old oem. The newer JVC models the NT series are in the range of $600 but they are worth it. One thing that I skipped during the install is the steering wheel controls. It's nice but me and my wife seldom use it.

13240554_1000499866684831_2039708513673197265_n.jpg

13267984_1000499980018153_6888112126199932241_n.jpg

I bought a used JVC-KW-NT700 for $100 from a friend who used to have it on his mustang (he thought that his mustang is too old for the wiring), I just bought the missing gps antenna/mic and rear view camera from ebay and amazon respectively. I also bought the trim kit and wiring harness that includes the plug for the sub from ebay as a bundle (also very cheap as a bundle) It turned out really good, the unit has an automatic clock taken from the GPS, so no need to adjust the clock when disconnecting the battery. Bluetooth for phone and music works awesome, it has a tilt feature on the display (so visibility can be adjusted) Speed signal and Reverse signal are all in the harness so it's easy to wire the extra wiring needed for the GPS to sync with the speed of the car and for rear view camera activation (it needs the reverse signal to activate) The GPS has a feature to warn you if you're over the speed limit on certain highways, so you'll be surprised.. Aside from making it look cool it sound better than the old oem. The newer JVC models the NT series are in the range of $600 but they are worth it. One thing that I skipped during the install is the steering wheel controls. It's nice but me and my wife seldom use it.

13240554_1000499866684831_2039708513673197265_n.jpg

13267984_1000499980018153_6888112126199932241_n.jpg
Thanks for the input. You certainly have a nice set up. I hope to end up with one a nice although I don't want to put more than $300 into mine. Thanks again sir.

Back