Installing sony xplod speakers on 97 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing sony xplod speakers on 97 xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Stationed near Rapid City South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Quick question on this. After taking the door panels off and removing the speakers, I notice the wires were on a clamp dealy. THe xplod speakers are just regular wire.

That being said, should I just splice and connect them together (like I did with my head unit) or should I buy a harness kit that plugs in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question on this. After taking the door panels off and removing the speakers, I notice the wires were on a clamp dealy. THe xplod speakers are just regular wire.

That being said, should I just splice and connect them together (like I did with my head unit) or should I buy a harness kit that plugs in?

Either option works.

FYI, Crutchfield sells a decent adapter. I scored one so I can put the OEM speakers back in quickly if I sell the truck.

WalMart, PepBoys, and Autozone also have the speaker wiring adapters

Im driving now to best buy to get an adapter, suppose it will make it easier than having to cut any more wires. I also figured out a way put them in and take them out without actually taking the whole door panel off.

If there's any of the stores mentioned above nearby, check there. BB is over 2x the price on their harnesses.

If there's any of the stores mentioned above nearby, check there. BB is over 2x the price on their harnesses.

I do not know if there is a pep boys here but I know we have an auto zone in town. Best buy said $12 for a set of 2, which crutchfield has listed the same price. Not sure if they are the same brand or what have you. Im going to make a call now, due to you suggestion, and see if its cheaper. Thanks!

EDIT: Autozone says they do not carry any harness for speakers, just head units. No pepboys in south dakota, and walmart associates aren't the brightest as they couldn't even understand what I was asking for...

Back