• Register Today It's free!

Installing Suspension Lift

Pissant22

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I am a novice when it comes to vehicle installs, i've only done the minor things (air filter, basic light wiring, computer chip) and I was wondering what you guys thought the difficulty of installing spacers and add a leafs were?

Here in phoenix, Desert Rat (4x4 shop) said they wanted $250 to install a lift on my 1st gen Xplo. I found it kind of ridiculous and figured i'd ask your opinions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty easy from what i've heard-i got a 2nd gen so no spacers but AAL and or shackles are about the easiest suspension mod you can do!!! good luck!

p.s.-did you search?

adding a spacer and and add a leaf lift is fairly easy work. I did it to my 94 in a day while I was at work . It wouldnt have taken long if I had worked on it continously but i just did it when i had time to spare from work. No special tools are required or anything.

Well you need either a couple of good c-clamps or a vise to squeeze your springs for the add-a-leaf installation part, but other than you don`t need anything really special.

Hey ld50 your were the inspiration for me lifting my ex with the coil spacers and add a leaf kit off ebay , I got the same kit you did :D

Yeah id50 was my inspiration also. Your my HERO MAN! Okay Pissant22, you will also need to get an alignment when your done(you'll have to take it to a shop for that.)
The install of the lift is really easy. I did mine in about 6-8 hours total. The alignment will cost any where from 100-150 dollars because they need to use new bushings or something like that because when you put the spacers on your tires will look like this \--/.

Originally posted by ld50
Well you need either a couple of good c-clamps or a vise to squeeze your springs for the add-a-leaf installation part, but other than you don`t need anything really special.

I just did a AAL. All I needed was 2 3" clamps ($4.50 each at NAPA), Dremel (center bolt nut wasn't moving and the new center bolts were way too long so I had to cut them down) and a socket set. Took me about 4 hours but that included several breaks and working at a leisurely pace. I actually didn't use the bolts they provided... I bought new ones with a allen head. If I were in a rush and had the nuts and bolts ahead of time (I was going to use the nuts and bolts they provided but they gave me two small bolts, 2 larger bolts, one larger nut and 5 smaller nuts), I probably could have done it in about an hour and a half.

Hey ld50 your were the inspiration for me lifting my ex with the coil spacers and add a leaf kit off ebay , I got the same kit you did

Aww c`mon guys, I was inspired by others and just passed my experiences along, but I`m glad I could help out with my mod thread by taking all those pics and giving the step by step stuff!

Back