Installing trailer brake controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing trailer brake controller

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Do the 2nd gen Explorers have provisions for an electric trailer brake controller under the dash? Or will I need to splice wires? It's a 2000 Sport.

Thanks all.

Man you're going to love me. It took me forever to research all this. Far as I know all explorers were the same, but I I'm explaining this based on my 96 5.0 AWD 4 door.

Look under your rear bumper on the right side. There should be a round gray plug with a cap in it. This is the prewired trailer light harness assuming your truck didn't have a tow package. If it did you should already have a 4 pin. Order the curt harness if you don't have the 4 pin already or your current one is a POS. It's direct plug and play. Then you can get the 4 pin to 7 pin converter to save a ton of pain in the ass wiring.

You do unfortunately have to get the relay kit and run power from the battery to the hitch and from the battery to the brake controller. I got the stuff below to wire up my 96 and it worked great.

etrailer part numbers:

Curt 4 pin harness - C55241
Universal 7 pin wiring kit -ETBC7

Andddd a how to video for you.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-controller-install-ford-explorer.aspx

Thanks! I found the round plug on the driver's side (I assume this is what you meant) and ordered the 4-pin harness for it.

My question is - you say you have to run power to the brake controller. How does the brake controller get the brake signal? I assume I will have to tap into the brake wire?

Thanks! I found the round plug on the driver's side (I assume this is what you meant) and ordered the 4-pin harness for it.

My question is - you say you have to run power to the brake controller. How does the brake controller get the brake signal? I assume I will have to tap into the brake wire?

Yes there should be 4 wires that come off your brake controller. 1 ground, 1 power for the controller, 1 power for the brakes and one that comes from your brake switch. It should tell you in the brake controller manual what goes to where. Also that 7 pin deal comes with instructions too that are very detailed telling you exactly what goes where.

Back