installing windshield LEDS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

installing windshield LEDS

After Hartman's inpirational words I've decided to intstall cobra eyes myself. The only problem is that i have nooo clue where to start. For example, how would I ground it? how would I extend the wires? how do I pass the firewall? how do I connect to battery? etc. Basicaly i have no idea. A diagram and/or step by step instructional would be very helpfull. thanks.

oh and i dont think ill be using the spray feature, just want the light.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So your going to drill 2 holes in your hood just so you can have those 2 LED lights??

no i decided to rather than ruin my hood, ill place it near my bumber or somewhere around there. just need the details on the "how to".

Well, to extend the wires go to Radioshack and pick up some wire, and wire connectors. If you don't know which kind just ask what you use to connect wire to wire. To ground it all you need to do is find some screw that is connected directly to the frame. To test it, put the ground wire where you think you might want to ground it and the positive wire on the positive terminal of the battery. If it works, use that. To pass through the firewall you will need to find a grommet. There should already be one, where you will be able to pass wires through, look behind your pedals. If not, you can always drill a hole and buy a grommet from some online store. To connect to the battery all you need is a ring terminal. If you do this, put an inline fuse (a small one) in the wire. If you don't know what that is ask the person at the store.

thanks for the info. which one is negative and which is positve. I have two wires comming out of each: a white and a black. and how do I connect the switch?

The black is your negative (or ground), white positive. Connecting to a switch. Lets take a non light switch. You will take your white wire from each LED, and connect it to one prong of the switch. Then run another wire from the other prong to your fuse then to the battery.

ok so what i have to do is connect the white wires from the led's to teh switch. and then another set of wires from the switch to the fuse to the battery. how do i connect it to the fuse?

Wire to wire connectors. An inline fuse kinda goes like this when you buy it, imagine that ---- is wire

---fuse---

Then you take your wire from your switch and connect it to the wire coming off the fuse.

cool, thx, I get it now. just a curiousity question. What happens if I dont connect it to the fuse?

As a rule of thumb anything you connect straight to the battery you use a fuse. This is for safety reasons incase the wire ever gets cut and grounds out. If this happens you can start a fire in you car. I don't know if it can be that serious with the high gauge wire you'll be using, but it's just a safety precausion.

Back