Installing/wiring for trailer and brake controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing/wiring for trailer and brake controller

Hi all, I’m new here so this may be a topic that has been covered but I can’t find a thread in it.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with an aftermarket tow package that has a four way flat connector. We’re buying a travel trailer and I need to install a brake controller and switch to a 7-pin trailer connection.

Seems like installing and connecting the brake controller under the dash will be a piece of cake. What I’m not sure of is what I need to do next.

How do I convert the four flat to a seven pin? Do I have to run wires from the battery/brake controller to the hitch? Or does plugging the controller into the plug beneath the dash tie it into the vehicle and I need another wiring harness/adapter for the rear?

Thanks all!

Hi all, I’m new here so this may be a topic that has been covered but I can’t find a thread in it.

I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with an aftermarket tow package that has a four way flat connector. We’re buying a travel trailer and I need to install a brake controller and switch to a 7-pin trailer connection.

Seems like installing and connecting the brake controller under the dash will be a piece of cake. What I’m not sure of is what I need to do next.

How do I convert the four flat to a seven pin? Do I have to run wires from the battery/brake controller to the hitch? Or does plugging the controller into the plug beneath the dash tie it into the vehicle and I need another wiring harness/adapter for the rear?

Thanks all!

Go to etrailer.com, put in your year, make and model and you should be able to find what you need or are looking for. They are also very helpful should you need to call them.

x2
etrailer.com

Back