Instrumemt cluster flickering not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrumemt cluster flickering not working

rustyeb

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
HI, I need help with my wife's 02 mountaineer it has a electrical problem .the instrument cluster is flicking and the interior lights ,radio and the door windows do not work when this happens . I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and the fuse box in the drivers side dash with a meter and all are good. I have changed the battery saver relay and the delayed accessory relay on top of the dash fuse box. I cant find the problem any ideas -help will be appreciated. I hope someone can lead me in the right direction Thanks Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still have the original battery in the Explorer. If yes, it may be the battery ready to go to battery heaven. Lots of the Fords seem to have an electrical weirdness with gauges either fluttering or go full scale and then come back down. Once battery replaced problem gone. Let us know what happens in your situation.

x2 - probably a dying battery.

x3
delayed accessories turn off when the battery gets low truck will still run. when it does it check the voltage on the batt . .13.3v or better? I bet its like 12v or less.

A car's lead acid battery is usually around 12.7 (+/- 0.1v) when the car has been sitting Off for a while (engine not running). With the alternator charging, the system voltage rises to around 14v and will drop a few tenths of a volt when float charging.

Its a new battery and the cable end post are clean I have checked the voltage at 12.8 stopped and 14.3 running .I have read in other post about a BCM and GEM where are they located and is there a way to check them.

I found a broken wire in the drivers door orange with a white stripe I think it went to the speaker so still have all the problems help

I found out there is a tsb 16967 and 17246 about this problem if anyone can access them or tell me how thanks Keith

OK,just to update it turned out to be a internal relay in the instrument cluster so I replaced the cluster and that took care of it . Got a used one on ebay for about 55.00 and it took me about 3 hours to change it out. Thanks for all the help Thanks again Keith

Back