Instrument bulb replacement tutorial. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument bulb replacement tutorial.

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
I had a bulb out behind my gas gauge. At night I could see the red needle but could not see the card behind. Needless, without a flashlight I could not tell how much gas I had.

I found the information, on this forum, to be insufficient to give me certainty that I would not break something while trying to access the bulbs. I hope this helps.

Start by removing the two 7 mm screws.bolts from the very bottom of the panel below the steering column. Once done, I used a plastic prybar at the top sides of the panel to release the left and right bayonet clips.

DSCF5434_zps783dff60.jpg

Once you have popped the lower panel out you will find some kind of gizmo that is attached to the back side of it, on the lower right. I do not know what this is but it was easily detached, using a little pocket screwdriver on the top and bottom hooks.

DSCF5438_zpse3a690ba.jpg

With the lower panel out of the way, I removed the two 7 mm screws at the bottom of the upper panel. The upper panel bayonet lugs are horizontal, not vertical, so you just pull the panel rearward (not upward) until the three lugs break loose. Now you have the cluster exposed.

DSCF5437_zps73e03c99.jpg

Remove the 4-7 mm screw/bolts at the top and bottom of the cluster and pull it straight out toward you. It is tethered by it's electrical harness which you should not have to remove. There is enough slack in the harness to rotate the cluster counter clockwise while flipping the back side upward.

DSCF5439_zps176e0fb9.jpg

Now you have the 7 bulb bases exposed. They have screwdriver slots on the back side but I found it easier to use a 1/4" nut driver OR socket on them. Rotate them counter clockwise about 90° to release them.

These are not high power halogen bulbs but I would still be careful not to touch the glass. I used a tissue while handling it.

The Ford part number for these bulbs are 6L2Z-13466-A. My local NAPA did not even show a number for them. (dealer item only) They are a ridiculous $5.50 each, but hey, ya gotta see the gauges.

Some people have experimented with bulb alternatives and maybe there are some good ones out there but I did not want to take the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is great! Awesome, thanks.

Cool, nice job.
Thanks man.

I need to do it now, my temp gage is out so that will help.

Sweet, didnt know that first peace came off that easy, now i can get rid of that chrome, i hate it lol

Went out tonight, in the dark, to test my new gas gauge bulb. It is so nice to have the whole panel adequately lit.

Hey - thanks for the work you did on this. Many people will benefit from it.

:thumbsup:

Has anyone found replacement bulbs cheaper or possibly LED (dimable) that work?

Back