Instrument Cluster Shift Indicater Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster Shift Indicater Removal

Maxstealth04

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
So I am trying to remove my Instrument Cluster and the shift indicator will not release! I squeezed the two "latches" loose but the driver side of the shift indicator will not release! Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have literaly broken three of these damn little indicators, First endure you remove the white braket and the screw on the top of it ( attached to the column) then you should be able to very very carefully remove the two pus tabs and slide it down. like i said ive broken 3, they cost about $30 dollars online, but at junkyards thet are easy to find...unless you break them too lol. good luck brotha

-nick

dit want to ve to remove the white box on the steering column, but if it is that easy, guess i will give it a shot!

Good luck & be sure to let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

lmfao! My wireless keyboard did not register a bunch of keys and made me look like an idiot that did not know how to spell!!! I made it work, and was able to accomplish my goal. Will post pics tomorrow.

lmfao! My wireless keyboard did not register a bunch of keys and made me look like an idiot that did not know how to spell!!! I made it work, and was able to accomplish my goal. Will post pics tomorrow.

Nice work. :thumbsup: Thanks for the update.

DSCN5082.jpg

now paint the cabron fiber bezel and door pieces harley orange too?

Thought about it, but it does not look good with the gray. I tried to only do orange where there was black so it looks nice. Want the whole interior to be black, but I can not do the interior paint cause the dogs will scratch it all right off.

Gotta tell you, that instrument cluster looks awesome. :eek:

Is that some type of overlay that you painted and then installed over the existing gauges?

Gotta tell you, that instrument cluster looks awesome. :eek:

Is that some type of overlay that you painted and then installed over the existing gauges?

No,I just used the factory one. It was really simple, and if you want I can do a write up on how to do it.

From the looks of your cluster, if you find one that has the outline it all should work. The part that is orange was just black, so i took the cluster apart and it was basically just chilling on top of the cluster. I have never seen the cluster without it.

From the looks of your cluster, if you find one that has the outline it all should work. The part that is orange was just black, so i took the cluster apart and it was basically just chilling on top of the cluster. I have never seen the cluster without it.

Maybe it's since mine is an '02. I'm gonna go with the Mounty Cluster. Had a Mounty Cluster installed and had to take it out. Details here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300920

Back