mc97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97 XLT
Hi everybody!
Great forum. Learned a lot.
I have a 97 explorer XLT and my question is, would a 98 explorer XLT instrument cluster fit the 97? My odometer and the trip meter have stopped working, and I found one 98 cluster with approx same mileage and I thought I could just swap them?
From outside they look alike, except that the 98 has an arrow pointing to which side the gas tank is.
But, is it possible that the circuit board and all the other things behind it might be different?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should work fine. Does your '97 have green instrument panel lighting or the ice blue? That would probably be the only change- the '98 will be green, but it should work fine. You might have to swap a couple of your gauges as the older Ex's have resistors on the backs of the gauges, but the cluster itself would work ok.

You could always pop the old speedo out and put the other one in... It's just a few bolts.

Thanks Joe,
On my 97, the lights are green also.
Although I do not know that the 98 panel I just bought is functional( seller said it is, but you know how that goes sometimes), I am hoping I can just swap the whole thing without having to take out components from one to the other. In the end I might have to. I just want to do a simple swap and assuming all gauges work and all the plugs/connectors are the same, there will be less of chance for me to mess up. If, I do get to do it, I'll post some pictures.

You can plug it in easy enough- just start it up and see what your gauges do- watch the voltage, coolant, and fuel gauges to see if they peg. If they don't, you're golden. I've just seen some 97's with the old style gauges, and some with new, so you'll have to try it to see what happens... :)

It worked:thumbsup::). Thanks Joe!!!
I followed a step by step guide posted here somewhere, for taking the whole thing apart. Like you said, I watched all the gauges, lights, everything seemd OK. There was a "Reset Fuel" light that came on initially, but once I cranked it up and took it for a spin it went away, and every gauge seems to indicate in the normal ranges.
Thanks again!

Golden! Glad everything worked out fine! :thumbsup:

that and the only other difference is that the reset fuel and door ajar are in different places. your reset fuel will come on when the door is open. i have 97 gauges and cluster in my 98 and that was the only difference that i noticed beside the color (the main reason why i swapped them).

You're right vroomzoomboom:thumbsup: Now that I read your reply, went out, cranked it again to check that "Reset fuel" light.
The "Reset Fuel" light, like you say, is on only when the door is open...
Thanks!

if you ask for the all data pin outs for the 98 you can get the cluster to work 100% by the way Joe, the Check Engine light works on the 01 sport cluster. had it go off and it was legit.

Awesome! I need to repin that this weekend. I'd like to run my codes...

if you ask for the all data pin outs for the 98 you can get the cluster to work 100% by the way Joe, the Check Engine light works on the 01 sport cluster. had it go off and it was legit.

i never thought of that!!!

for the sport I have the pin outs that you have to match in my how to thread.

Don't mean to hi-jack, but does anyone know if the cluster from a 01-02 Sport will work in my 2000 XLT??

as long as it fits it should. check out my how to thread for the repin info. What your going to have to do is there with what is needed (tool wise). basically you have to take out pins the way hey sit in the harness' now and match them to the pictures I have there. its easy, post there if you have any questions and I will respond.

Thanks Syn-

I went to the wreckers today for the gauge cluster and was told that the 2000 and 2001 were the same cluster and are interchangeable. They only had a 2002 sport, and I am not sure how much work it would take to get that cluster working, and his computer made no reference to the 2002. The guy was a bit of a jerk, and wanted $50 for the cluster, so I may wait for a 2001 to show up...

mine came out of an 02, believe your good up till '03. you probably won't have to swap the temp gauge like I had to. $50 is steep, I snagged mine for $35 shipped on ebay.

mine came out of an 02, believe your good up till '03. you probably won't have to swap the temp gauge like I had to. $50 is steep, I snagged mine for $35 shipped on ebay.

There's a girl who works there who always quotes cheaper than the guys. She was not in today. I can't see a big demand for used instrument clusters, so I think $50 is a bit high as well. Do you know if the 2002 cluster would be a direct swap, or would it need so work?

There is a higher demand for the white faced sport clusters though...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a girl who works there who always quotes cheaper than the guys. She was not in today. I can't see a big demand for used instrument clusters, so I think $50 is a bit high as well. Do you know if the 2002 cluster would be a direct swap, or would it need so work?

If it looks like the same shape as yours then yes, repinning is the part where most would get discourged. Its all in the how to, I would try a direct swap and see what doesn't work, go from there. And in regards to the White faced sport cluster, the demand is high since these are a better idea then indiglow. plus its still kinda factory, I get comments on mine when people actually look inside. during the day they are flawless, but since I didn't elect to get the gear shift the color is off. won't be an issue in 00 because it is just as green interior lighting wise.

Back