• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Panel Lights Problem

Jay 01

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Has anyone had any problems with there instrument panel lights. My dash lights on my 01 sport trac just recently stopped working. All exterior lights work (headlights, turn signals, brake lights), but the gauges do not illuminate when the headlights are on. Adjusting the dimmer switch up and down does not work either. If the dimmer switch is moved all the way up until it clicks the interior lights still come on, but the gauges don't light up. I think it may be the dimmer switch, but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fuse for the instrument cluster, there must be one, though I would have to look in my Haynes vbook to tell you where as I am new the the world of STs. If you can't find it let me know, my book is downstairs in the parking lot.

lighting runs off the main fuse for the headlights and stuff
the dimming mudule is an electronic module, not like the old fashioned rheostat things. Unless all the bulbs blew at once, the module or switch is broken.

A47 in the image is the PWM dimmer

The fuses are still good. How much does a dimmer switch usually cost. Is it very hard to install?

There is a guy in the parts for sale section that has a ton of explorers, you might want to ask him if he has any :)

Has anyone had any problems with there instrument panel lights. My dash lights on my 01 sport trac just recently stopped working. All exterior lights work (headlights, turn signals, brake lights), but the gauges do not illuminate when the headlights are on. Adjusting the dimmer switch up and down does not work either. If the dimmer switch is moved all the way up until it clicks the interior lights still come on, but the gauges don't light up. I think it may be the dimmer switch, but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas?

The dimmer switch is quite expensive $280.00 at the Dealer for my '95 Explorer. You could pick up a 12 volt dimmer switch from your local electrical store or hardware to test for about $5-$10. I believe that it's either going to be a fuse or your ground wire is not connected. Did you check the fuses in the black box under the hood. You can download a diagram of your fuse & relay layout for free from Autozone.com but you will have to register first (still free). Type in your year,make & model then search fuse panel diagram. I suggest you go back & examine those fuses carefully perhaps you failed to notice the fuse was actually blown, Make sure to check your underhood fuse box also the cover is easily removed. Don't be afraid to grab some pliers to pull those big fuses out (just rock a little side to side). After you're absolutley sure that you've check all the fuses & still no illumination lights. You could remove the panel that holds the dimmer switch & carefully remove a small amount of the insulation from the black ground wire that is attached to the dimmer switch. Attach a long enough wire to reach a good grounding spot & ground the wire. If this doesn't do the trick then maybe you have a short in a wire.If you have a meter you can test the DC voltage. Check to make sure you have voltage coming into the dimmer & voltage going out of the dimmer. Good Luck. More than likely if it isn't the fuse you have a loose wire.

My instrumental panel issue is finally fixed.:chug: It ended up being the dimmer switch. Luckily, I was able to find a switch fairly cheap. I just simply plugged the new one in and the problem was solved.
Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

My instrumental panel issue is finally fixed.:chug: It ended up being the dimmer switch. Luckily, I was able to find a switch fairly cheap. I just simply plugged the new one in and the problem was solved.
Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:
Can you give details? I'm experiencing this same issue

Can you give details? I'm experiencing this same issue
Doubt you'll get an answer. The thread is 14 years old and the OP has only 5 posts total.

If you're have the same issue I would test the dimmer switch to verify.

Back