Instrument panel question

CrAzEd412

Reaction score
City, State
Berryville,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4wd
Hey all,
I've been searching for a little while now and have come up empty handed so far. My instrument panel has more then one problem. First the tachometer doesn't work at all sometimes it will randomly work other times it wont at all and just sit at zero. What is the problem that could be going on? Loose connection? My other question is the other day while i was shifting into drive the gear indicator seemed to snap and shot the indicator past the 1st gear marking. I am left to moving slowly into overdrive hoping im not in 2nd at times. Is it at all possible to get a new instrument panel from the junkyard or an aftermarket place such as rockauto or partstrain? My other question is since it has the original odometer with it and a new engine is there anyway of swapping that out into the new IP to maintain the correct reading for the body mileage? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any takers? Trying to get this problem fixed won't pass inspection without it properly working.

I've had the same problem but it was with the speedometer and a blow light to boot.Went to local junkyard and ripped one out for 30 bucks.Had a buddy who is a ford tech install.Looked like a pain.All is well.As far as mileage your stuck with whatever is on the you install.Mine was 13,000 miles more.G/L

On Ebay there are so many speedometer clusters you can find cheap about $40.00 with shipping if you search the listing. A cluster from a 95-97 will definitely work. Some latter model clusters from "98-'01 X might also work but I'm not positive about which latter years match and there were some minor variation on indicator lights locations. The biggest thing for you to match is the 4wd,2wd or Awd version of your explorer for the indicator 4wd light or none for AWD and 2wd. Look on Ebay and you can also find the mileage listed on most of all the clusters so simply get one that closest to your present mileage. The replacement of the cluster itself isn't that hard and with a little bit of skill can be done in less than a couple of hours if you take your time. There is an thread on this forum about taking the dash apart on a 2nd generation X and it includes taking out the instrument cluster.Use the search function on this forum and it should easily be found.
The gear indicator breaking is a common problem and basically is a spring and a small metal cable which attaches to the gear selector itself under the dash. Many instrument panels come also with this indicator panel which snaps into the bottom of the cluster. Look in the Ebay photo and make sure it's included before purchasing from someone. Not everyone include the gear indicator so be sure before you purchase. I usually sent an email to confirm what exactly is included (such as gear indicator) so I don't get any surprises. Good luck.

Excellent instructions on removing the insturment panel in the Haynes manual; not really very difficult. Change out all of the bulbs before you put the new cluster in. At this age they are/will start to burn out. The larger illumination bulbs are #194 and there are 5 or 6; the smaller indicator light bulbs are #161 (I think). All are readily available in bulk on the net or at auto parts stores.

Excellent instructions on removing the insturment panel in the Haynes manual; not really very difficult. Change out all of the bulbs before you put the new cluster in. At this age they are/will start to burn out. The larger illumination bulbs are #194 and there are 5 or 6; the smaller indicator light bulbs are #161 (I think). All are readily available in bulk on the net or at auto parts stores.

For a 1997 Explorer there are six (6) #194 illumination bulbs and sixteen (16) #37 indicator bulbs, plus a LED for anti-theft indicator bulb.

Don't do a 12-volt test on the RED holder LED anti-theft indicator bulb like I did, as I ended up at the dealer getting a new one for the one I blew at about $10.00.

Excellent write up, but so much trouble to replace light bulbs. :rant:

For a 1997 Explorer there are six (6) #194 illumination bulbs and sixteen (16) #37 indicator bulbs, plus a LED for anti-theft indicator bulb.

Don't do a 12-volt test on the RED holder LED anti-theft indicator bulb like I did, as I ended up at the dealer getting a new one for the one I blew at about $10.00.

Excellent write up, but so much trouble to replace light bulbs. :rant:
That's why when I replace mine, they are going to be LED's not incandescent bulbs.

Great thread BTW, glad it was resurrected from the depths.

Back