Insturment Panel Light | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Insturment Panel Light

LED's are super sensitive to good grounds so I would think that anything you could do to improve the contact points will help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thru this whole post, no one described what needed to be done to remove the instrument cluster??? In my case, a 2006 Limited without any display screens.

I've got the lower left bulb, that lights the fuel gauge, burned out. In the dark I can see the red needle but cannot see the positions on the card behind it.

It's so easy. Just give it a try.

17071416gr.jpg

7565350jhr.jpg

Hey, thanks a bunch Lucas. It looks like one of the simpler things that i'll ever have to do on this vehicle. I also tried googling the subject and came up with all kinds of scary stuff that needed to be done. That looks pretty simple.

It looks like you do not even need to remove the steering column panels? Are there any clips to release once you get those screw out or will the pieces just fall away?

Couldn't help but notice that your brake pedal pad looks like mine. I also googled that, not knowing whether it was a dealer item or a general parts house. I came up with prices ranging from $14 to $23 and they were from general parts houses. I thought that was pretty high so I looked it up on RockAuto.com. They had them for $2.99.

I think I will order one of those plus a 16lb radiator cap. I just got the Explorer so I might wait a little bit to see if there are any other things I might need.

Also, stand by for a post on a broken parking brake release handle. I think I have come up with a pretty simple (commonly available piece) solution to get a good T-Handle back.

Also, stand by for a post on a broken parking brake release handle. I think I have come up with a pretty simple (commonly available piece) solution to get a good T-Handle back.

FYI, there is a TSB out there for that broken parking brake handle, you might want to take a look at it too if you haven't yet.

FYI, there is a TSB out there for that broken parking brake handle, you might want to take a look at it too if you haven't yet.

Yeah, I have seen it FG, however, a TSB is not a recall. In addition to that they want you to replace the whole nine yards at around $150.00 for the whole mechanism. I'll grind off the rivet, straighten the bend in the rod, thread it and put on a new metal handle with red locktite and a jam nut. Budda Bing! $3.50 and a little time.

It'll never break again, unlike what I have read about OEM replace handles.

Yeah, I have seen it FG, however, a TSB is not a recall. In addition to that they want you to replace the whole nine yards at around $150.00 for the whole mechanism. I'll grind off the rivet, straighten the bend in the rod, thread it and put on a new metal handle with red locktite and a jam nut. Budda Bing! $3.50 and a little time.

It'll never break again, unlike what I have read about OEM replace handles.

I didn't imply that it was a recall, I was just mentioning it since it shows how they recommend fixing the problem that they are admitting is an issue on those years. Not to say that there are other ways of repairing the problem, just that it is a good place to start since, usually, when there is a problem that they admit to, the replacement assembly has been modified to prevent future failure.

..... usually, when there is a problem that they admit to, the replacement assembly has been modified to prevent future failure.

You'd think and hope so Flag, but I have seen several indications that the replacement ones didn't seem to hold up any better. The travesty is that it would be such a simple and cheap fix if Ford A) would have improved the handle, and B) if they had simply manufactured and supplied the handle and rod to be reattached by grinding off the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and locknut.

As it is, they expect you to pay an exorbitant amount for a whole assembly that there is absolutely nothing wrong with, then nearly tear the car apart to replace it.:thumbdwn:

....but I digress. Hopefully my replacement handle will arrive in the mail today and I can get started making a sensible fix.

Hi, I am planning to replace the 7 bulbs on my explorer XLT 2008. My questions is, It will cause any problem if i disconnect the instrument cluster? I mean it can be disconfigurated or something?. Thanks in advance

Disconnecting the instrument cluster will not cause any problems.
I did this several times.

cluster

I just got a 2008 Explorer xlt, "my 3rd one," and one of the cluster bulbs was burnt out. I have been trying to find LED Blue bulbs to replace all the bulbs and have spent hours looking for right ones. I've got a few off Ebay but they never fit quite right or were too cheaply made to last. I don't mind paying more for better ones if I can just find them. Any help would be appreciated.

To help some of the others, I've had my cluster out several times. Takes about 10 minutes and doesn't affect anything where you have to reprogram. Heres a video of same cluster just different vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjzkL46FmA

The "7" bulbs are not soldered into the bases but better to buy bulbs with the base. They just twist out.
Here's the actual part number for regular bulbs. FORD 6L2Z-13466-A BULB

I just got a 2008 Explorer xlt, "my 3rd one," and one of the cluster bulbs was burnt out. I have been trying to find LED Blue bulbs to replace all the bulbs and have spent hours looking for right ones. I've got a few off Ebay but they never fit quite right or were too cheaply made to last. I don't mind paying more for better ones if I can just find them. Any help would be appreciated.

To help some of the others, I've had my cluster out several times. Takes about 10 minutes and doesn't affect anything where you have to reprogram. Heres a video of same cluster just different vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjzkL46FmA

The "7" bulbs are not soldered into the bases but better to buy bulbs with the base. They just twist out.
Here's the actual part number for regular bulbs. FORD 6L2Z-13466-A BULB

I picked up eight of the superbrightled's that lucas2009 mentioned. They fit loosely so you have to push the metal tabs closer together before twisting into place. I only needed one and I got the white ones. Of course its slightly brighter than the others but not enough that you would notice unless you're looking for it, so I won't bother replacing the others. I have only been driving with it for a few days but it seems fine. I might try a different color later but this is cool for now.

Thanks for the input. I couldn't find any like the one's Lucas talked about in color. I can find plain white fairly easy. I have spent hours looking and do think possibly the Vehicle compatability list is off.

Thanks for the input. I couldn't find any like the one's Lucas talked about in color. I can find plain white fairly easy. I have spent hours looking and do think possibly the Vehicle compatability list is off.

Look at post 14. He tells you what size to get and he provides a link. You choose the color when you order.

Look at post 14. He tells you what size to get and he provides a link. You choose the color when you order.

Thanks for continued help. I have been all over this site and if you try and search by vehicle is says they dont fit but ordered some anyway. I will let you know if they work....

God damn it was 108 degrees out when you took that picture and it was dark out ? I feel bad for you

You get use to it. I live in the valley (texas). Its always hot.

You get use to it. I live in the valley (texas). Its always hot.

That looks different from the bulbs I bought. How do they fit? Where did you get them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They fit good. I got them from ebay. The adapter is from a 2005 mustang I believe don't remember to good. I needed to modify the adapter a bit.

Back