Insulating Garage door? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Insulating Garage door?

My garage sits under our master bedroom. Currently the house is about 73*, outside temp is in the 50's and the garage is probally in the 60's. Our bedroom is by far the most erratic, in tempature change. In the winter it's the coldest, and the summer it's the hottest....as is the garage.

on to the Garage... The garage door faces the north, so dirrect sun light never toches it (unlike my neighbors who can't belive how cool my garage is in the summer, when it's still in the high 80's in there:rolleyes:). My garage door is a one piece steel door shell. and I have been thinking of insulating the door to better control the tempature in the garage, which should better control the tempature in our bedroom. I have looked it to my options and I'm leaning tord just putting R-13 in the door. I can probally do it for about $30-$40. Any thoughts?

Here you can see what the the inside of the door looks like at the top of the picture.
shelfs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Dang that sure didn't take long:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Could you run sheet metal screws with fender washers through the insulation into the ridges where you had used the adhesive?

Either that or some of the construction adhesive. That's quite a bit stronger than the 3M sprays.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Could you run sheet metal screws with fender washers through the insulation into the ridges where you had used the adhesive?

Either that or some of the construction adhesive. That's quite a bit stronger than the 3M sprays.

Certain adhesives will melt the foam.

I'm for fender washers & sheet metal screws.. or furring strips..

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
screws will just go thru the door, it's single wall. I was think of getting a big piece of plastic to go over the whole door to kind of hold all the Styrofoam in. No signs of the foam melting.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Try Liquid Nails Panel & Foam Adhesive (LN-609). I used it to hold the foam to my garage door. Is been there for about 4+ years now.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
There's areas to screw in.. like the door supports.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™

instead of using a sheet of plastic, how about some sort of light metal mesh, like chicken wire, and screwing that to the door through the door supports...

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level

all of the foam sits in between these. So if your suggesting a straps, yes and no it would work. The foam is like a jigsaw puzzle. some pieces are large, some are palm size.

SkyJumper

DISABLED AIRBORNE VET
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
SW Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
My last house I used the foam boarding to insulate the garage door. I used this to secure it to the door, they are called insulation fixings.
They stick on the door at the round disk base, then you push the foam board over the pins, then you slide the locking washer over the board and onto the pin protruding thru. Then you snip the exposed excess pin off and the foam is secure to the door. It is easy to use and inexpensive. They are made of nylon and either come with a self stick adhesive, or you by a liquid nail type adhesive to stick them to the door.
11.gif
454.gif

Here is a website I got the pic from. I remember buying them from a hardware store, but do not which one.
http://www.midwestfasteners.com/pro...nfasteners/nonwelded/ihangers_nylon-print.php

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
My last house I used the foam boarding to insulate the garage door. I used this to secure it to the door, they are called insulation fixings.
They stick on the door at the round disk base, then you push the foam board over the pins, then you slide the locking washer over the board and onto the pin protruding thru. Then you snip the exposed excess pin off and the foam is secure to the door. It is easy to use and inexpensive. They are made of nylon and either come with a self stick adhesive, or you by a liquid nail type adhesive to stick them to the door.
View attachment 66973View attachment 66974

Here is a website I got the pic from. I remember buying them from a hardware store, but do not which one.
http://www.midwestfasteners.com/pro...nfasteners/nonwelded/ihangers_nylon-print.php

Those are pretty cool, and would totally work:thumbsup:

now where to find them....I'll ask my sis, she works at LOWES;)

SkyJumper

DISABLED AIRBORNE VET
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
SW Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
Another option you can do is run wire from the top to the bottom of the door. Just drill yourself a small 1/8" hole at the top and bottom rail equally spaced and centered for each foam board. Then lace the wire at the top then run it to the bottom hole and lace it there. That will allow you to remove and replace the boards or repair. The wire will be easy and nothing to clean up.

Here is another idea. My current house faces directly south, and the sun beats on the garge most of the day as the sun rises west to east. So what I did on my current house was use the foam boards, glues to the door. Then I bought a brown tarp the size of my garge door, it may of been a little bigger from harbor freight, and zip tied it snug over the whole interior side of the door. The foam boards are now insulated by the tarp. It works great and plus in your situation, it would work to keep the boards against the doors also. I drilled a double hole, 2 side by side at each point at which I wanted to zip tie it to the top and bottom rail ( at each tarp eyelet )Just a idea for ya.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg