• Register Today It's free!

intake for 04-05

pimp03explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport
i have an 05 and i searched the forums already and found the one link for an intake. except its just for an adapter to put on a cone filter and does not replace the whole tube. i was wonding if anyone knows if K&N came out with their new one yet or if another company made them with a stainless or chrome tube yet. any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that K&N really for 2002+? Their site dosnt have one listed for '05s. Is it the same setup and they just didnt add it to the catalog, or is there some difference in the setup. I too have an 05 and am lookin for an intake.

~Jay

I believe the 05 is the same as the 04, and yes that is the K&N CIA kit for the 2004 which also works on the 02 and 03.

TKAT79 said:
I believe the 05 is the same as the 04, and yes that is the K&N CIA kit for the 2004 which also works on the 02 and 03.

thats not correct. the 04+ made an intake change by moving the MAF sensor. its no longer a seperate piece but is now attached to the air box. in order to replace the whole thing you have to buy an intake that has the MAF with it. there was another thread on here somewhere that explains in more in detail. if you search "04 intake" it will show up. click and read my friend, click and read :D

pimp03explorer said:
thats not correct. the 04+ made an intake change by moving the MAF sensor. its no longer a seperate piece but is now attached to the air box. in order to replace the whole thing you have to buy an intake that has the MAF with it. there was another thread on here somewhere that explains in more in detail. if you search "04 intake" it will show up. click and read my friend, click and read :D

I'm going by what the K&N website says, that's all. From 2001 and UP it's the same model number for the FIPK Gen2 kit. Check it out for yourself if you'd like. I'm not saying that their website is correct, just saying that's where i was getting my info from.

TKAT79 said:
I'm going by what the K&N website says, that's all. From 2001 and UP it's the same model number for the FIPK Gen2 kit. Check it out for yourself if you'd like. I'm not saying that their website is correct, just saying that's where i was getting my info from.

i know where youre coming from. im telling you that its not going to work for the 04-05. im talking regular explorer BTW. maybe for hte sport trac, not the regular. make sure you read that thread like i said. itll exolain everything there. i had an 03 before i got my 05. its NOT the same, i tried switching mine over. then read that thread and understood why. it even looks different than the 02-03

i see where your mistakes are coming from. i have a regular 4 door 2005 explorer. not the sport trac or the sport. the info you sent was for the sport trac. i want to know if there is an aftermarket intake for the regular 05 explorer. besides the one on that other thread. i want one that replaces the WHOLE thing and not just adds a cone filter.

Yeah I realized that too, I typed in the info for a regular explorer, not a sport trac. K&N's website is probably just fk'd up.

Call up S&B if you want a filter and/or kit, IMO they are better than K&N. Call up Volant too, they make awesome CIA kits.

TKAT79 said:
Yeah I realized that too, I typed in the info for a regular explorer, not a sport trac. K&N's website is probably just fk'd up.

Call up S&B if you want a filter and/or kit, IMO they are better than K&N. Call up Volant too, they make awesome CIA kits.

yea, K&N gets **** wrong all the time, lol. ill give them both a call. thanks for the help.

pimp03explorer,

LMK if u manage to find anything.

~Jay

SuRrEaLNJ said:
pimp03explorer,

LMK if u manage to find anything.

~Jay

i checked both of their sites and they didnt have anything for the 04-05 yet. i may also try calling them as well just in case. i know that either flik or sarek has a k&n prototype. if someone can contact one of them maybe we can get the hook up. hopefully one of them reads this and responds to it to let us know :D

Just to confirm, yes the 04-05 V8 (not sure about the V6) intake is different than the 02-03 on the 4-doors. If you purchase the 02/03 it will NOT work. As mentioned above, get in contact with Sarek. I believe the 04-05 K&N's are shipping now.

Mike

mikephotos said:
Just to confirm, yes the 04-05 V8 (not sure about the V6) intake is different than the 02-03 on the 4-doors. If you purchase the 02/03 it will NOT work. As mentioned above, get in contact with Sarek. I believe the 04-05 K&N's are shipping now.

Mike

the V6 is different in the 04-05 as well. had an 03 V6 now an 05 V6 and sure enough, theyre different. i am looking for the V6 04-05 intake. just letting you guys know.

called K&N today, all i got from that was if its not on the site we dont make it but u can sign up to be alearted if we do.

~Jay

SuRrEaLNJ said:
called K&N today, all i got from that was if its not on the site we dont make it but u can sign up to be alearted if we do.

~Jay

alright, thanks for checking. ill have to get that alert thing, im deperate for that throaty sound on my new explorer :confused:

how has your kkm intake worked so far? was it hard to install? did you have to do any other mods to install it? how did performance increased?

Back