Intake for 3.5 NA

Eric F

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
aFe Power 51-12842 Stage 2 Cold Air Intake

There aren’t a lot of aftermarket parts for the 3.5 NA, and very few intakes. The K&N and AEM have design issues. Both intakes suck directly from the hot air of the engine bay and bypass the good design of the stock intake drawing cold air from behind the grille. The K&N and AEM also have a metal intake tube, which will retain heat. The aFe intake addresses these issues, which is why I decided to give it a try. Without the cover on the box, the intake noise is significantly louder than stock, and goes from a low growl to a loud roar. The cover not only cuts off warm air flow from the engine bay, but reduces the volume quite a bit. Personally, the uncovered intake volume was a bit to much for me, but I can see that some people would enjoy it.

I wasn’t expecting a difference in performance, and those expectations were met. aFe’s product data indicates a few HP gain in the mid-range on their dyno chart, but if there is any actual increase, it wasn't felt in my seat.

Pros: Uses lower half of stock intake box including cold air source. Optional cover to close it off from sucking directly from engine bay. Non-metallic intake tube. Very easy install. Makes loud noises.

Cons: No noticeable performance improvement over stock. Not CARB approved. Makes loud noises.

I plan to keep it because I like the mellow growl with the cover in place, and I will recommend it for anyone looking for an intake for their 3.5 NA. Of the options on the market, the aFe is a winner for design. That said, the stock intake does a good job, and there’s no compelling reason that it should be replaced.

0z8R7bJ.jpg

r9x3DxP.jpg

Ot3PHNm.jpg

iO6Ej2t.jpg

Back