• Register Today It's free!

Intake Gasket replacement

phouse

Reaction score
City, State
Phila PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Has anyone ever had there Intake Gasket replace, from the dealership ? I was curious about how much it cost.. ? I am going to replace mine tonight along with the upper intake gasket also... How difficult is it.. I replaced the valve cover gaskets about 1yr ago.. the Haynes manual said I had to remove them again what a waste I hope not .....

It's not too bad. I'd make extra effort to follow the manual. Since the upper and lower manifolds are aluminum it doesn't take as much force to torque them down. Also loosen and tighten the bolts in the correct sequence. And more thing to...is that the shop manual will probably list torque specs as inch pounds instead of foot pounds. There may be a conversion chart in the manual as well.

Hope that helps.

I am still actually doing this to my ex. It took me the better part of day to get lower intake manifold off but I have very little engine experience and was dealing with a learning curve. If I had to do it again, I could get it down much quicker. The "engine" stuff was easy, however, its all the accessories, cables, and hoses that are a pain. I also tried to follow the manuals as much as possible. Speaking of which, I would use both Chiltons and Haynes since the two overlapping give just about all the information you need. It was fun to take apart though. Regarding the gaskets. I was quoted $35 for the manifold gasket at Auto Zone. I don't know though if that included both of them or not. I am going to find out today when I go down there to pick them up. Since my valve covers have never been replaced I am also going to do that as well. Hope this helps.

Back