Intake Humming Noise

fmirza

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey Everybody,
I need some help. I have a 95 Explorer that makes a humming noise after it warms up. The noise starts after the outside air temp gets above 75 degrees. Anything cooler than that and there is no noise. I have the K&N filter and filter charger kit. But I also replaced the rubber intake pipe with an aluminum pipe. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem here! Only happens when its warm out and mostly when accelerating. If I rev it a little the noise goes away temporarily. Seems to be at a certain rpm and load. I've been trying to figure it out, but I can't duplicate it when parked.
I hope someone has the answer.

After having the same problem I searched the boards and found that it was my IAC(Idle Air Control) valve. It is located on the driver side just after the throttle body. It bypasses the butterfly valve on your throttle body and it can get sticky. If you spray throttle body cleaner in it..after taking it off...the noise will go away. If it keeps happening then you might want to buy a new one for about $70. Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like that might be it. I was thinking intake since it usually goes away after reving. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by srpauliesr
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like that might be it. I was thinking intake since it usually goes away after reving. I'll check it out.

Did it fic the problem? I ave that same noise but it sounds like its coming from the intake. Is it tha same whine horny like sound?

-Ray

When hearing the noise on mine, it was loudest from the KN and from the IAC. You could feel air rushing around the IAC valve.

I have same sound with my kkm, but I have cleaned the butterfly with throttle body cleaner it sounds like it is coming from the intake as well..

I might have something to do tomorrow. Clean the throttle body.

Back