Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Joe Dietz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 EB 4 Door
I've got 147K miles on my '93 4.0L. The Intake manifold gasket is way overdue for replacement. My engine is covered in oil. I'm going to use Felpro gaskets and follow the Haynes replacement instructions using hight temp RTV gasket sealant. I've also read threw the Explorer maintenance page instructions.

Looks like you need torx sockets...got them.

Can those who have already done this job point out trouble spots or other things to do while I'm in there. I am going to replace the following gaskets:

throttle body
valve cover
upper intake manifold
lower intake manifold

thanks,

The intake gasket is a very straight foward job. It can be done by even a rookie(given a little more time). The only problem you may encounter is having a hard time taking out the upper intake because of the spark plug wire clip in the back of the manifold, you may have to pop them out to have enough room to remove the manifold.

Felpro gaskets are fine, I used it on my truck. Remember to put a coating of silicone around the water passage way on the top and bottom of the intake gasket.

If you still have AC you will have to fight the hoses a little but from there it's a pretty easy task, just take your time putting everything back together and get the torque sequence correct on the lower intake manifold, (I did the re-torque after about 100 miles and it went smooth).

A good throttle body cleaning solution, (3-4cans), and a few soft wire brushes of different size will speed up the parts cleaning process. I highly suggest cleaning everything like new prior to reinstalling parts.

Have fun,
FM

Back