Intake Manifold gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold gasket

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
It's not the Water pump and it's leaking higher then the Heads .

I'm getting an antifreeeze leak mostly when I turn the engine off and additional pressure builds.

Question. To do this Intake gasket, can I leave the Gas lines hooked up? Is there enough Play i them to just unbolt the Intake, lift it and replace the gasket and lay it back down without disassembling too much?

Gaskets? I guess the Plenum gasket and Intake is all I need?

I'm painting the outside of my house so I'm already cranky. I'm SO not in the mood to jump into this Gasket deal.

Any idea on time 2 hours? 5 hours?

I recently replace my intake manifold gasket on my 1991 explorer XLT because it formed a leak on the passenger side of engine at the front corner or where the head and block meet, I disconnected every wire and vacuume line and totly removed the manifold from the truck it just a bit easyer in my opion . It took me aprox 4 hours with the help of my father and some air tools . Take your time and dont rush , also make sure you use some sealant on the corners where the block and heads meet as it will leak oil. Also when you have intake manifold off if your valve covers leak at all replace them at this time

Thanks! That's where mine was leaking a year ago. I just ever so slihghtly tightened the Nut just behind the Thermostat housing and that fixed it for 20K miles. I thought after many miles the gasket compressed so a little extra compression would do it.
Oh that's right, the way this engine is put together the Valve covers have to come off, yes? The Valve covers straddle the Head and the Intake. THANKS

Back