Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
...okay....

We've all heard for years that the Throttle Body Spacers don't work. They don't add enough volume to the intake manifold to make a difference. We know this.

We've ALSO heard over for years that the Intake Manifold Spacer on the 5.0L V8 DOES work....

I am making a 1/2" spacer to go inbetween the Upper and Lower intake Manifolds.

What, if any gains do guys think I'll see?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOTHING?

Are you guys understanding what I'm doing here?

Ryan

The spacer has to go ON TOP of the rail assy, below the upper intake. It can't go BELOW the `rail....think about it!

The SOHC is a VERY efficient design.....but I'm talking about a OHV.

I am making it out of a sheet of 1/2" Phenolic.

Maybe I can make a Nitrous Plate similar to this one...but for the 4.0L OHV!
70057plate.jpg

(kidding)

i am just not sure you will see any benefit from doing this.

As some of you may have read in my other threads I made one out of a spare fuel rail....I don't know if anyone has done this before.

Has anyone tried this before on the 4.0L?...I know it works on the 5.0L.

I haven't installed it yet....but what do you think of it:

What type of gains do you suppose I will get with this? I will make on out of Phenolic next, now that I have a good pattern to cut it from.

Ryan

Whoops, didn't see this the first time around. I put one in on my Mach 1, and we dyno'd before and after. You most likely won't see any gains in either the max hp or max torque #'s, but what they really do is fatten the torque curve. The make the intake runners slightly longer, which helps the low end torque. When we installed the intake manifold spacer in my Mach, I crossed the 300 ft-lb level 600 rpms earlier than I did without the spacer, and it didn't affect the top end, so it effectively expanded my power band.

Many of the Mach 1 owners run them. I got mine from Paul's High Performance . His are made of aluminum, but there are other vendors now making them out of phenolic to help with keeping upper intake temperature down.

On the PHP website, they claim 4-8 hp increase, but the Mach 1 owners that have installed them have, in general, found that the peak increases are nil, it's the low end torque that it helps, especially if you have installed a cat-back that is less restrictive.

Cool...thanks!

Ryan

UPDATE:

Ryan

if you feel gains I would be interested in buying one.

After a commute to work, and back I can honestly say there is a bit more power sooner. I haven't taken the motor past 3500 yet, but I was able to break the tires loose in my N-1, 1-2 & 2-3, and at my previous 'normal' shift point of 2300-2500....on the way home I found that if I shift @ 1900-2100 I accelerate normally, with no bog...

I have 285/50-18's in the rear...so I have a bit more rubber back there than most any other 1st gen...

I am not selling these yet....I may do it later......

Ryan

JDraper hit the nail right on the head. By raising the plenum you lengthen the runners. Therefore you are going to make better torque. But at the same time you should see a mild gain in economy. If you can keep your foot off the pedal. LOL Bailey.

Yeah right....I can't keep my foot out of it....

I am going to try to go 1 tank with shifting @ a lower RPM, and see what mileage I could get...

Previously I was shifting @ 2500 for best economy....but I think I can lower that a little..before when I tried my 3-4 shift, it would bog @ less than 2200....I think I can try to shift @ 2100-2300..we'll see...

Ryan

What did everything cost completed? Would you be interested in making a few more? I'd be interested in buying one for sure.

I have something in the works for getting these made...

Nobody say anything that is involved in this process....I am trying to keep costs down.

Ryan

I had one on my old 2.9L and it works! The metal upper intake would barely get warm, it used to get so hot you could cook breakfast!

On the OHV 4.0L only those with metal upper intakes are going to see any gains...

I believe a colder intake charge (and the price of metal) is why all manufacturers eventually went to plastic upper plenums.

I have a 1" FMS spacer on my 5.0L and I love it.

Good work on your 4.0L, pretty simple upgrade and should work well in dropping the intake air tempature slightly.

Remember you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410....If you'll notice, the first one I made and installed on my personal vehicle is made from Aluminum.....I noticed a HUGE improvement....

I'd like to see if I can get more improvement with a Phenolic one...We'll see

Ryan

Back