• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Intelligent 4WD

ExporerSTwv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hi, new member here. I recently purchased a 2020 ST. About a week ago I had the message ‘4WD Fault, Service Required’ come up on the instrument panel. It went away once I turned the vehicle off and hasn’t shown up since. However I felt like the vehicle wasn’t driving as smooth since this message appeared.

This made me curious how the 4WD system operates and I discovered the Intelligent 4WD display that shows real time what wheels are being powered.

When accelerating, is it common to see all 4 wheels receiving power 90% of the time? This is in normal driving mode on dry roads. It’s not often that it only sends power to the rear wheels.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
If you accelerate very lightly it will send power to just the rear. Moderate acceleration will send power to all 4.

Remember, this is an All Wheel Drive vehicle, not 4wd.

ExporerSTwv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for clarifying! That makes me feel better. I was paranoid after I had the 4WD Fault message.

Appears that everything is running fine, but I will be sure to tell the dealership when it goes in for the first service.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Hi, new member here. I recently purchased a 2020 ST. About a week ago I had the message ‘4WD Fault, Service Required’ come up on the instrument panel. It went away once I turned the vehicle off and hasn’t shown up since. However I felt like the vehicle wasn’t driving as smooth since this message appeared.

This made me curious how the 4WD system operates and I discovered the Intelligent 4WD display that shows real time what wheels are being powered.

When accelerating, is it common to see all 4 wheels receiving power 90% of the time? This is in normal driving mode on dry roads. It’s not often that it only sends power to the rear wheels.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

AdrenalineJunky

Reaction score
City, State
Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST.
I have yet to see the power to wheel distribution screen....where is that?

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

Bender953

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 &
2020 Limited White
Callsign
Bender953
It was in the display options in my rental but not in mine. Is there a way to get it in the list to activate?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It was in the display options in my rental but not in mine. Is there a way to get it in the list to activate?
I wouldn't worry about it... it's a gimmick.