Intelligent 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent 4WD

ExporerSTwv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hi, new member here. I recently purchased a 2020 ST. About a week ago I had the message ‘4WD Fault, Service Required’ come up on the instrument panel. It went away once I turned the vehicle off and hasn’t shown up since. However I felt like the vehicle wasn’t driving as smooth since this message appeared.

This made me curious how the 4WD system operates and I discovered the Intelligent 4WD display that shows real time what wheels are being powered.

When accelerating, is it common to see all 4 wheels receiving power 90% of the time? This is in normal driving mode on dry roads. It’s not often that it only sends power to the rear wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you accelerate very lightly it will send power to just the rear. Moderate acceleration will send power to all 4.

Remember, this is an All Wheel Drive vehicle, not 4wd.

Thanks for clarifying! That makes me feel better. I was paranoid after I had the 4WD Fault message.

Appears that everything is running fine, but I will be sure to tell the dealership when it goes in for the first service.

Hi, new member here. I recently purchased a 2020 ST. About a week ago I had the message ‘4WD Fault, Service Required’ come up on the instrument panel. It went away once I turned the vehicle off and hasn’t shown up since. However I felt like the vehicle wasn’t driving as smooth since this message appeared.

This made me curious how the 4WD system operates and I discovered the Intelligent 4WD display that shows real time what wheels are being powered.

When accelerating, is it common to see all 4 wheels receiving power 90% of the time? This is in normal driving mode on dry roads. It’s not often that it only sends power to the rear wheels.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

It was in the display options in my rental but not in mine. Is there a way to get it in the list to activate?

New user here as well...

I am having the same trouble that was originally posted in my 2020 ST. I am getting 5 or 6 different fault messages. Is any of this potentially dangerous to the operation of the vehicle?

Pre-collision assit fault
Hill Start Assit Fault
Advance Trac Fault
4WD Fault
Auto Hold / Hold Assist Fault
Rear braking assist fault

Not the first time I've had a problem - originally the vehicle would not start up normally (i.e get in vehicle, apply brake then press the start/power button). It would start up via the remote, but when I touched the brake the vehicle shutdown. Ford held it for 2.5 days and reported no trouble found.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you happen to get a picture of the warnings? If not, try to get one when it happens again. Not saying that would help but at east yo can show the service department that it is happening. Obviously, regardless of their findings, there is a problem.

Peter

Did you happen to get a picture of the warnings? If not, try to get one when it happens again. Not saying that would help but at east yo can show the service department that it is happening. Obviously, regardless of their findings, there is a problem.

Peter

Yes, I did get a short vid of the warnings. I noticed they showed up in the Ford app as well.

New user here as well...

I am having the same trouble that was originally posted in my 2020 ST. I am getting 5 or 6 different fault messages. Is any of this potentially dangerous to the operation of the vehicle?

Hill Start Assit Fault
Advance Trac Fault
4WD Fault

Not the first time I've had a problem - originally the vehicle would not start up normally (i.e get in vehicle, apply brake then press the start/power button). It would start up via the remote, but when I touched the brake the vehicle shutdown. Ford held it for 2.5 days and reported no trouble found.

so I had this same issue twice. Driving along, all those warning lights came on In addition to a drive malfunction warning. First time this happened was early July. Dealer had car for a week. Replaced axle speed sensor. Second time mid August. This time dealer said there was a TSB addressing this issue. SSM # 49045. Hope this helps

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Would appreciate any info you can get on that SSM. Thanks.

Peter

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Would appreciate any info you can get on that SSM. Thanks.

Peter
picture:

50363AC4-3473-4A1F-9FE4-4F2CBC58C568.jpeg

So I just had this service performed on mine. As I drove home from the dealership the 4wd warning appeared again.
Have you brought it back to the dealer?
I just got this message on my 2020 XLT (it's got bit over 6900 mi on it)...

Peter

I had multiple fault messages on my xlt come up last week. Took it to the dealer. They said it was the wheel speed sensor.

As for the intelligent 4wd, I believe that is the "intelligent piece that controls when to use all or just the two wheels. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New user here as well...

Hill Start Assit Fault
Advance Trac Fault
4WD Fault

New user here too! So mine first did all of those same fault messages back in May 2020 at about 4,000 miles. Took it in and they replaced the speed sensor. Worked fine until September near the 8,000 mile mark. They then replaced the transmission control module. It worked for about 2 weeks and then happened again. Ford has now had my car for over 2 weeks. They are now going to replace the transfer case.

My personal opinion is they know there is an issue (I've seen mulitple posts out there of same issue) and they don't know how to fix it yet. I have a claim into Ford for a buy back and I'm waiting for decision.

Back