Intelligent Access Key fob programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

Junkmann2

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ex Limited & Sport
A friend gave me the spare intelligent access key remote from his car that was totaled while parked. I attempted to program it today, using the information that I found on the internet. I put my 2 original keys on the passenger seat, and placed the "new" one in the forward compartment of the center console. Pushed unlock 3 times, tapped the brake, pushed lock 3 times, and tapped the brake. According to the instructions that should have programmed the new key, however, it didn't. Does the "new" key need to have its old codes wiped from its memory? Does the car have to be running when doing this programming?
Here are the programming instructions that I used..
I did check the codes on the tags, and they are identical. Thanks for your assistance...
Junk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2016's require the dealer to program the IA...its in the owners manual.

2016's require the dealer to program the IA...its in the owners manual.

Correct. Dealership will charge about $70 for programming (1 or more new key fobs). I had 2 additional keys programed back in October. Prior to the 2016 you could do your own on board programming with the door lock brake pedal ballet with the IA fobs.

A friend gave me the spare intelligent access key remote from his car that was totaled while parked. I attempted to program it today, using the information that I found on the internet. I put my 2 original keys on the passenger seat, and placed the "new" one in the forward compartment of the center console. Pushed unlock 3 times, tapped the brake, pushed lock 3 times, and tapped the brake. According to the instructions that should have programmed the new key, however, it didn't. Does the "new" key need to have its old codes wiped from its memory? Does the car have to be running when doing this programming?
Here are the programming instructions that I used..
I did check the codes on the tags, and they are identical. Thanks for your assistance...
Junk

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434516

I just called 2 different local Ford Service departments, and got conflicting information. One said that a previously used Intelligent Access Key couldn't be reprogrammed to another car, and the other said that it could. Is there anyone that I can get a definitive answer to this question? I don't want to spend $60 or $70 only to find out that they can't reprogram the used IA key.
Thanks
Junk

I just called 2 different local Ford Service departments, and got conflicting information. One said that a previously used Intelligent Access Key couldn't be reprogrammed to another car, and the other said that it could. Is there anyone that I can get a definitive answer to this question? I don't want to spend $60 or $70 only to find out that they can't reprogram the used IA key.
Thanks
Junk
If need be, get them to guarantee it will work. If it doesn't then no cost to you. I believe there is another post similar to this issue somewhere.
It also isn't unusual for some techs not to be aware of recent changes such as that mentioned about the 2016 programming above.

Peter

thanks... the only difference that I can find in the numbers is that one of the numbers ends in CK (DS7T-15K601-CK), and the other number ends in CL (DS7T-15K601-CL). Unfortunately, I don't know what this number represents. Other than this one item, every other way, the fobs and numbers are identical. I checked the date code in the plastic housing, and the CK was made in March of 2015, and the CL was manufactured in June 2015. When my wife came home, I checked the fob from her 2016 Limited to see if it is the same as my 2016 Sport, and it is. This leads me to believe that the K represents 2015, and the L represents 2016. I am wondering if the fobs might have changed with the change in the programming methods. Thanks for the suggestion about asking them if they will guarantee that it will work. Junk

Thanks
Junk

This is a NON ISSUE. My two extra key fobs both can from other existing 2016 Explorers. They were both programmed to work with my new Explorer for the $70.

The instructions given by Ford for programming the 2016 Explorer IA key for push button start are wrong. The correct instructions follow the 2015 Mustang programming.
1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programed message on the left dash display.

If you mess up in the process you can restart by opening the driver door and closing it again.

This worked for me this morning. Took less than 5 min. Was happy to cancel the app to with the dealership that would have cost $85.

Welcome to the Forum Patrick S.:wave:
I don't really think the programming instructions for the IAK are wrong since there are none. It just states to take the keys to the dealer.
Thanks for providing the information on how to do it and save a dealer visit. I wonder if the instructions for the IAK in previous model year Manuals will work?

Peter

Darn Ford trying to make an extra buck. Can't believe everything in the manuals these days

Darn Ford trying to make an extra buck. Can't believe everything in the manuals these days
Is it possible that doing it as Patrick suggested could result in something being missed? Just wondering why the procedure for the IAK has changed in the 2016 and 2017 manuals. The service cost not withstanding.

Peter

You are correct that the manual does state to have the key programmed at the dealership. I should have mentioned that the incorrect instructions came from the Ford website for self programming the IA keys.

Patrick S:
Did you test all functions of the remote? (lock, unlock, start, rear hatch, etc)? I'd like to buy a third remote for my '16 and program it.
thanks

Patrick S:
Did you test all functions of the remote? (lock, unlock, start, rear hatch, etc)? I'd like to buy a third remote for my '16 and program it.
thanks
Yes. All functions worked. Just make sure the FCC Id matches your current remote on the one that you buy.

Hello all...
Has anyone else had success programming your own spare Intelligent Access Key (IAK) (i.e. proximity key) on a 2016 Ford Explorer (assuming you have two original working keys). I've heard conflicting info on this. The Ford manual says to take it to the dealer. All of the sellers on ebay say you need to take it to the dealer or locksmith. I read somewhere that they changed the process for 2016 so you can no longer program yourself (even if you have two other original working keys). Just wanted to query the group and see if folks had programmed a spare key for the 2016 explorer (my key FCC ID is M3N-A2C31243300)

Regards

Hello all...
Has anyone else had success programming your own spare Intelligent Access Key (IAK) (i.e. proximity key) on a 2016 Ford Explorer (assuming you have two original working keys). I've heard conflicting info on this. The Ford manual says to take it to the dealer. All of the sellers on ebay say you need to take it to the dealer or locksmith. I read somewhere that they changed the process for 2016 so you can no longer program yourself (even if you have two other original working keys). Just wanted to query the group and see if folks had programmed a spare key for the 2016 explorer (my key FCC ID is M3N-A2C31243300)

Regards
Have you tried the instructions in post 9? The procedure apparently has changed for the 2016/17 models as there are no longer instructions shown in the Manual other than to take it to the dealer.
If you still have your 2003 Mountaineer, please add the 2016 Base, XLT, etc., to your signature. Thanks.

Peter

Have you tried the instructions in post 9? The procedure apparently has changed for the 2016/17 models as there are no longer instructions shown in the Manual other than to take it to the dealer.
If you still have your 2003 Mountaineer, please add the 2016 Base, XLT, etc., to your signature. Thanks.

Peter
I have not purchased the new key yet (was researching prior to purchase). I did see Patrick's post (#9) which seems straight forward (very similar to what I've done on other vehicles like my 2014 Mustang smart key). I'm just very curious why there is not more info out there on programming yourself with 2 original keys; and why all the ebay sellers still say you must take to a locksmith or dealer (they are normally quick to point out DIY program instructions).

I have not purchased the new key yet (was researching prior to purchase). I did see Patrick's post (#9) which seems straight forward (very similar to what I've done on other vehicles like my 2014 Mustang smart key). I'm just very curious why there is not more info out there on programming yourself with 2 original keys; and why all the ebay sellers still say you must take to a locksmith or dealer (they are normally quick to point out DIY program instructions).
It has to do with the type of key you have. IKT or IAK. The Manual shows the instructions for programming an IKT but for the IAK you have to go to the dealer. Perhaps it is the Remote Start feature? Does the IKT come with remote start and the indicator light? Directional vs bi directional? :dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has to do with the type of key you have. IKT or IAK. The Manual shows the instructions for programming an IKT but for the IAK you have to go to the dealer. Perhaps it is the Remote Start feature? Does the IKT come with remote start and the indicator light? Directional vs bi directional? :dunno:

Peter
Is an IKT a "transponder key" that you have to insert into the ignition and turn to start? vs. an IAK which you leave in your pocket and simply press the vehicle's start button?

I have what I believe is called the IAK (sometimes also called a proximity key). The vehicle has a start button (There is no ignition slot to insert a key)... . It sounds like that is what Patrick had as well. So if Patrick had success programming an IAK proximity key on a 2016, maybe it's just an "unpublished" procedure. My explorer has a 5 button prox key. Every site I've been to says dealer must program... but Patrick seems to have been successful with a IAK on a vehicle with a start button. That's why I'm asking. I'd love to hear again from Patrick to verify his success (his post says 2016 explorer)

Back