Intelligent Access Key fob programming | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

Is an IKT a "transponder key" that you have to insert into the ignition and turn to start? vs. an IAK which you leave in your pocket and simply press the vehicle's start button?
Yes. the Integrated Keyhead Transmitter is the actual fob with the key for a keyed ignition. FYI, his last post was July 19th. Maybe try sending a PM.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had two working fobs and one stopped working, it was a spare the rarely got used.. Changed batteries got nothing. Since I only have one that works how can I reprogram the one that stopped or a new on since you need two for the programming?

I had two working fobs and one stopped working, it was a spare the rarely got used.. Changed batteries got nothing. Since I only have one that works how can I reprogram the one that stopped or a new on since you need two for the programming?
As per your Owner's Manual;
If two previously programmed keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to your authorized dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed.

Peter

Has anyone else had success with Patrick S's method? And more specifically, on a 2017 Explorer XLT with 315mhz intelligent access and no factory remote start?

Thank you,
Jeff

Has anyone else had success with Patrick S's method? And more specifically, on a 2017 Explorer XLT with 315mhz intelligent access and no factory remote start?

Thank you,
Jeff
Hi Jeff. Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I have 2 working key fobs, and also a spare one that needs to be programmed, and I am willing to try Patrick's method, however, I just need to know exactly where the "key slot in the center console" (step 2) is located in the center console. A picture would be great, if someone could provide it. I have checked the owners manual, but can't find this exact location in the console of my 2016 Limited or the 2016 Sport.
Thanks Junk

I have 2 working key fobs, and also a spare one that needs to be programmed, and I am willing to try Patrick's method, however, I just need to know exactly where the "key slot in the center console" (step 2) is located in the center console. A picture would be great, if someone could provide it. I have checked the owners manual, but can't find this exact location in the console of my 2016 Limited or the 2016 Sport.
Thanks Junk
It's right where the Manual shows you.

Peter

key slot.JPG

Hi Jeff. Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter
Thank you Peter!
Jeff
Thanks Junk
Hello Junk,
Here is a youtube video I found today (not my video) on where the pocket is.
Jeff

Thanks to both Peter and Jeff for posting this location. Junk...

I want to extend my gratitude to Patrick S. , it worked ! I just programmed two additional new 315mhz intelligent access keys to my 2017 Explorer XLT.

I can add some more to anyone that is adding two keys not just one. Following the procedure after the 3rd key the programming procedure is done. You cannot do the 3rd and 4th key in one procedure. (or at least that is my experience)

Then to do the 4th key you go through the procedure again inserting 1st, 2nd, 3rd programmed key, then the 4th key is inserted and programmed. I counted the 5 seconds with the tried and true 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005 method. No digital timer needed.

So to add the 3rd key follow Patrick S's instructions:
1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.
The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programmed message on the left dash display.

Then to add the 4th key start over;
1. You must have three working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the 3rd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
11. Remove the 3rd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
12. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
13. Push the start/stop button.
The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programmed message on the left dash display.

I took them all in the house and brought them out one at a time and tested that they all worked. When I go to the MyKey display on the instrument panel it now shows 4 admin keys.

So, the owner's manual is not correct.

Thank you,
Jeff

The instructions given by Ford for programming the 2016 Explorer IA key for push button start are wrong. The correct instructions follow the 2015 Mustang programming.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.

The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programed message on the left dash display.

If you mess up in the process you can restart by opening the driver door and closing it again.

This worked for me this morning. Took less than 5 min. Was happy to cancel the app to with the dealership that would have cost $85.

Just tried this with a 17 Platinum and no joy. Key itself seems to be working as when going through the remote start procedure, it flashes the red LED at me to say that it failed. Need to decide to try another key off eBay and try again or pay the dealership to add.

I'm wondering if something changed for 2017 or if the new (to me) key needs to forget the previous vehicle it was paired with.

It's working now. An important safety tip is that you only have 10 seconds between the 2nd press for each key and the next key. Full instructions form the Mustang owners manual are
  1. Place the first programmed key in the backup slot, then press the push button ignition switch.
  2. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
  3. Remove the intelligent access key.
  4. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed intelligent access key in the backup slot. Press the push button ignition switch.
  5. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
  6. Remove the intelligent access key.
  7. Place the unprogrammed intelligent access key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.

Programming is now complete. Verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new intelligent access key.

...tip is that you only have 10 seconds between the 2nd press for each key and the next....

Purchased a used key off eBay for $69.99. Followed the instructions for the mustang exactly and kept the time between steps under ten seconds. I also counted 6 Mississippis instead of five seconds. Worked for a 2017 Platinum. 3rd key works perfectly!

Purchased a used key off eBay for $69.99. Followed the instructions for the mustang exactly and kept the time between steps under ten seconds. I also counted 6 Mississippis instead of five seconds. Worked for a 2017 Platinum. 3rd key works perfectly!
including the remote start?

I added a 3rd key to my 2014 Sport when I bought it using this method. I then purchased a RF blocking pouch (Faraday cage) and hid the extra key in a hard to reach place within the car. So if I ever lose or damage my key so it is unusable, I can just enter the code on the door key pad, take the hidden key out of the pouch, and be on my way. I also recommend the 3rd key in case you lose any of your keys, this way you will still have the required minimum 2 keys needed to program a new key without having to go into the dealer.

My cousin found this out the hard way when she lost her key when she was out of town, then a few months later her kid started playing with the last key she had miss placed it in the toy box. They were looking at a $600+ replacement cost from the dealer plus the cost of the tow.

I tried this today with a 3rd key I bought off ebay. No love.

Just to be clear, the "push the start/stop button" refers to the start stop button on the dashboard, or on the remote itself?

So to add the 3rd key follow Patrick S's instructions:

I tried this today with a 3rd key I bought off ebay. No love.

Just to be clear, the "push the start/stop button" refers to the start stop button on the dashboard, or on the remote itself? During this programming, no foot on the brake so that the car does not actually start?

Update: Patrick's instructions work like a charm!

My notes:
1) The push start/stop button is indeed the dashboard button with no foot on the brake.

2) The drivers door must be shut!!! That was my problem, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just tried this, but it didn't work. My new IA key has a battery in it, but when I hit any buttons on it, the lights don't light up. Should they light up before it is programmed? I'm trying to figure out if the reason I can't program it is because it came with a faulty battery.

Back