Intelligent Access Key fob programming | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

I just tried this, but it didn't work. My new IA key has a battery in it, but when I hit any buttons on it, the lights don't light up. Should they light up before it is programmed? I'm trying to figure out if the reason I can't program it is because it came with a faulty battery.
Welcome to the Forum ed.:wave:
Are you referring to the light on the fob? If so, it only lights up when you use remote start. Pressing other buttons will have no effect. Merry Christmas.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I added a 3rd key to my 2014 Sport when I bought it using this method. I then purchased a RF blocking pouch (Faraday cage) and hid the extra key in a hard to reach place within the car. So if I ever lose or damage my key so it is unusable, I can just enter the code on the door key pad, take the hidden key out of the pouch, and be on my way. I also recommend the 3rd key in case you lose any of your keys, this way you will still have the required minimum 2 keys needed to program a new key without having to go into the dealer.

My cousin found this out the hard way when she lost her key when she was out of town, then a few months later her kid started playing with the last key she had miss placed it in the toy box. They were looking at a $600+ replacement cost from the dealer plus the cost of the tow.

So you're saying you used the method Patrick suggests in post #9 for your 2014 Explorer? That's odd, my 2015 Owner's Manual states to use the older method of place unprogrammed IAK in key holder, then 3 unlocks, brake, 3 locks, brake, then push start/stop within 1 minute. Which procedure should I use for my 15?

Just programmed an new IAK for a 2016 ford explorer using Patrick's procedure. Worked great. Got the key on Amazon for $62. It just has a Mustang logo on the back instead the generic Ford logo...

I have a limited edition 2016 Explorer and only one programmed remote...I purchased a new remote online and need to program it....Can I still program a new remote with only one existing remote or do I have to have 2 (according to the instructions I have found online you have to have 2 programmed remotes in the vehicle)?

I have a limited edition 2016 Explorer and only one programmed remote...I purchased a new remote online and need to program it....Can I still program a new remote with only one existing remote or do I have to have 2 (according to the instructions I have found online you have to have 2 programmed remotes in the vehicle)?
Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature in the upper right.
You required 2 keys in order to program another one. If you only have 1 then the dealer has to program a 2nd one. If you check out all the posts in this thread about how to do the programming you'll see that they all start off with saying you require 2 keys to start with. I don't know if Forscan will allow what you want to do?

Peter

PSA: this weekend I saw a standing rotating Duracell display at Ace hardware with large assortment of OEM looking fobs and programming done while you wait.
3.99 for programming, fobs were all different prices based on model/features / compatibility, but were all from 9.99 through $35.

I have a 2017 XLT w/2 remote start fobs, and I have 2016 XLT with 1 non-remote start fob. Could I have the dealer program the two 2017 keys to also work on the 2016 xlt? In other words, can the keys be programmed to work on multiple cars?

I have a 2017 XLT w/2 remote start fobs, and I have 2016 XLT with 1 non-remote start fob. Could I have the dealer program the two 2017 keys to also work on the 2016 xlt? In other words, can the keys be programmed to work on multiple cars?
Welcome to the Forum Dave.:wave:
I can't say for sure but I doubt that can be done. I believe each vehicle has its own security code. I'm sure someone more familiar with the system will be along and may have a more definitive answer.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, Peter... I probably should just order the second one for the 2016 XLT anyway.

Just ran through this method with a 2018 Expedition 5 button remote start key. The new key was programmed in under 5 min. It is amusing that Ford continues to include incorrect instructions in the owners manual.

Didn't want to make a new thread since this is related, but does anyone know if you can use a 2017 Explorer Key Fob on a 2013? I have access to a 2017 and since my 2013 only came with one I'm hoping the dealership would be able to program it for me, but if not I want to get one ordered just in case.

I'll call them in the morning, but figured Id ask here in the meantime. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You will likely have to have the 2017 program info erased first. Does the 2017 key have the remote start option? If so, it is 902MHz. The 2013 would be 315MHz.
Re-use a 2015 Mustang key fob for 2017 Explorer

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You will likely have to have the 2017 program info erased first. Does the 2017 key have the remote start option? If so, it is 902MHz. The 2013 would be 315MHz.
Re-use a 2015 Mustang key fob for 2017 Explorer

Peter

Thanks Peter, I've been eyeing an Explorer Sport for awhile and finally found one I could pull the trigger on.

Yes, it has the lock/unlock/remote start/liftgate buttons. Dont have it on me, but this was the one. It most likely wont work by the sounds of it though so I'll grab a new one for a 2013.

Screenshot_20180629-110620_Chrome.jpg

Thank you Patrick, I was able to program keys 3 & 4 for my F250 using your procedure. (4 is the max you can have). All features work without issue.

Ronin559’s post #37 can be accomplished a little easier. If you take the battery out, equivalent to having a dead battery in the key, you can place the key in the key slot that you used to program the new key with and you can start the vehicle. This allows you to keep a spare key in the vehicle without it transmitting any signals.

Hello all...
Has anyone else had success programming your own spare Intelligent Access Key (IAK) (i.e. proximity key) on a 2016 Ford Explorer (assuming you have two original working keys). I've heard conflicting info on this. The Ford manual says to take it to the dealer. All of the sellers on ebay say you need to take it to the dealer or locksmith. I read somewhere that they changed the process for 2016 so you can no longer program yourself (even if you have two other original working keys). Just wanted to query the group and see if folks had programmed a spare key for the 2016 explorer (my key FCC ID is M3N-A2C31243300)

Regards

Just a quick note that I successfully programmed a new IAK on my 2011 Explorer. I needed two working IAKs in order to do it. Took like 5 minutes. The Dealer told me that they had to do it and it would cost $122.50! I also saved money on the purchase of the IAK by buying it from carandtruckremotes.com The remote that arrived appears to be a genuine Ford OEM remote. The cost was $112 incl shipping as opposed to $180 from the dealer. Amazingly enough the instructions to do this came from a Ford sponsored support site. You can put in your year and model for your vehicle and it will tell you how to do it. The page is: How to program your Intelligent Access key

Enjoy!

Marshall

Welcome to the Forum Marshall.:wave:

Peter

The instructions given by Ford for programming the 2016 Explorer IA key for push button start are wrong. The correct instructions follow the 2015 Mustang programming.
1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

The door locks should cycle and you will get a key successfully programed message on the left dash display.

If you mess up in the process you can restart by opening the driver door and closing it again.

This worked for me this morning. Took less than 5 min. Was happy to cancel the app to with the dealership that would have cost $85.
Patrick, did you program a new or used key fob. I tried these instructions and got an error. I tried to program a used fob

Welcome to the Forum Jon.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Patrick, did you program a new or used key fob. I tried these instructions and got an error. I tried to program a used fob
I think I found the problem. Ex says I have 3 admin keys and I only have 2.

Back