Intelligent Access Key fob programming | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent Access Key fob programming

Still not able to program the spare Fobs on my 2015 (spare fob for my 2018 works great using the above procedure)...I’ve tried two different fobs using the unlock 3 times/brake/lock 3 times/brake/push start button...the ‘engine’ light on start/stop button flashes, but nothing else happens.

Any suggestions to try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shout out to Patrick! Took me a couple of tries but the method worked on our new/used 2018 Limited with remote start!

Howdy!! I'm looking for guidance on what the cheapest way is to acquire another intelligent Access Key (IAK) for an used 2017 Explorer XLT (ignition is pushed to start) and have it programmed. When I purchased my Explorer recently (from a non Ford dealer) of course it only had one IAK (thus self programming of another acquired IAK is not an option, since it requires to already have two existing programmed IAK's......or does it???)
**I do apologize if the elements of my inquiry have already been covered in this thread previously (or in other threads), but since this thread spans many years, I would like to gather insight that possibly is more current.

I contacted my local Ford dealer for price quotes and this is what they responded with:
- The Intelligent Access Key by itself (for push to start) is $149.95.
- The Intelligent Access Key plus programming is $289.95
- Just the programming for an already purchased Intelligent Access Key is $140.00 – includes retrieving the keyless code (**We will not attempt the programming on an aftermarket key. This must be performed with a new key from Ford, in it’s original packaging)

Going with the dealer seems pricey, so here are my questions:
- Are there any methods of self programming (w/o dealer/locksmith programming software) an acquired IAK (used or new) when there is only one existing IAK, for a 2017 Explorer? (**obviously I'm looking for a solution that is probably not publicized, but you never know)

- Has anyone had success of purchasing an used IAK (from amazon, ebay, etc..) for their 2016 and newer Explorer (ignition is pushed to start) and either going to a Ford dealer or hiring a local locksmith to do the programming? If so, what did you pay for the IAK and for the programming? Any issues after the programming?

- With keeping "YGWYPF" in mind (You Get What You Pay For), is it just best to just go with the Ford dealer for the whole process? For any of you that have dealer insider knowledge, is there any verbiage I can state to the dealer where they would offer a lower price (i.e., I pay for the new IAK from the dealer for $149.95, but then they do the programming for $50...and not the quoted $140.00)?

Any insight to my inquires will be greatly appreciated! :)

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Thanks to the instructions from Patrick and 4havnfun, I was able to get the third key programmed!
When I bought the explorer I was told it only came with one key, so I planned on buying a second key. When I went to go pick it up, they said there actually was a working key but it was pretty mangled, held together by tape, etc. which is why they didn't advertise it with two keys... but importantly, the second key worked, so I was able to get my keypad code on the first day! :) I ordered another key on ebay, got it today... figured I'd give the instructions from ford's website a try first, and they were a total dud... then tried patricks instructions 3 or 4 times and couldn't seem to get it working. Caught the bit from 4havnfun about having no more than 10 seconds between pressing keys and realized itw as taking me a little while to get the second key out, since it had nothing to hold on to. Figured out a way to get it out quicker (stuck a piece of tape to it, LOL) and on the next attempt, it said programmed successfully! I've tried out all the features like lock, unlock, remote start, and panic, and all seem to be working! Woot woot, saved some bucks! :)

Does anyone know if the programming procedure for 2013 is different than the steps that Peter posted (Key 1, start button, wait 5, start button, etc.)?

I've tried it and the Ford method (door unlock 3 times, brake pedal, door lock 3 times, etc.) and can't get it.

It took several tries to get it, but I was able to use the method posted by Patrick on a new fob for my 2017 Limited. Tried the method several times, nothing. Went back inside, searched a bit online, scanned through the owners manual (which incidentally states you have to go to the dealer to get a new key, but further back in the manual has a section that shows the message "Key Program Successful" that should display on the info screen) but couldn't find anything else beyond take it to the dealer. Found someone in the Escape forum that had a method using the door unlock button/brake/lock button method, tried that - no success. ON a whim, tried Patrick's start button method again, and at the end, the door locks activated, lights flashed and the key now works. I *did not* get the message on the info display saying "Key Program Successful", but I tested all functions of the new IAK and everything worked, including remote start. Got mine from UHS Hardware online for $59 as a brand-new aftermarket fob - only difference between it and the original is that it doesn't have the Ford emblem on the back. They have ones with the Ford emblem, but they're about $30 more.

Attachments

• 2017 Ford Explorer IAK from UHS Hardware.png
    2017 Ford Explorer IAK from UHS Hardware.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 75

Update - noticed that there's a Ford emblem in the package that I missed and almost tossed out. Peel and stick, now looks just like the original from the dealer.

Welcome to the Forum Eric. :salute:

Peter

Back