Interceptor Utility Whelen LED problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interceptor Utility Whelen LED problems

Captain314

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Interceptor Utility
Hi! I am new to the forums, I am a captain in a volunteer fire company..

I recently bought a 15 Interceptor Utility from a dealer. It is equipped with the factory installed Whelen wig-wags, corner LEDS, as well as the rear windshield and tail LEDS.

Now, I have read thoroughly through the modifiers guide provided on the fleet site, and just can't wrap my head around the missing link. When I activate the steering wheel aux switches nothing happens other than the display indicating that the switches are on.

I have an odd set of options on this model as it has the standard explorer console with cup holders and the sync tray that has a flip up door. When i take that panel out i can't locate the "14-way police option", or any other harness plugs, other than the power outlet, USB, and aux input wiring.

Am i missing a module? Where are the plugs hiding!?

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless it is the ready for the road package none of it will be operational. It all has to be wired and connected. The modifier guide shows exactly where the connectors are.

Thanks for the reply Jason,

I looked in the void below the radio and that area looks different on mine than the guide shows.. I can't find the connectors, what would they be Plugged in to?

Thanks for the reply Jason,

I looked in the void below the radio and that area looks different on mine than the guide shows.. I can't find the connectors, what would they be Plugged in to?

They wouldn't be connected to anything.

Okay, so they should just be taped up somewhere in that lower center stack void.. Well, I can't find them haha.

I appreciate the replies.

The steering wheel controls are negative switched, and tied into the police for way harness, as well as going to the rear directly from relays under the dash if you set them up, straight to the siren brain in the rear. Do not come activated from the factory

Ready for the road questions

Greetings, sorry if I am hijacking the post, long time listener, first time poster. I have a 2013 Utility PI with the RTR package. It has been partially decommissioned, the rear strobes still work off the auxilliary steering wheel buttons but nothing else. I want to see what else has been left and install some clear lights back on to the vehicle as I am still an EMT (and retired police officer) and have found myself on the side of the road assisting people several times. Is there a way to figure out what I need to do (wiring wise) to add lights back in to the package? The schematics are way over my pay grade. Can the basic Ford dealer look at my car and tell me what needs to be done or do i need to go to an emergency lighting store. Thanks in advance and apologize for jumping the original question.

Greetings, sorry if I am hijacking the post, long time listener, first time poster. I have a 2013 Utility PI with the RTR package. It has been partially decommissioned, the rear strobes still work off the auxilliary steering wheel buttons but nothing else. I want to see what else has been left and install some clear lights back on to the vehicle as I am still an EMT (and retired police officer) and have found myself on the side of the road assisting people several times. Is there a way to figure out what I need to do (wiring wise) to add lights back in to the package? The schematics are way over my pay grade. Can the basic Ford dealer look at my car and tell me what needs to be done or do i need to go to an emergency lighting store. Thanks in advance and apologize for jumping the original question.

Dealer will know nothing...go to an upfitter.

Back