Interceptor with Limited Trim or something else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interceptor with Limited Trim or something else?

JCRob

Reaction score
City, State
Santo Domingo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PI
Hello! New member and reader here. I come here to find some wisdom!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2016 Ford Explorer which immediately I learned was the Police Interceptor version. Until that moment, I’ve never heard anybody near me that had this version as a “regular” vehicle. Since the PI versions have the use of police departments, I was kind of worried that the vehicle might exhibit that sort of wear and tear, but it wasn’t the case. The car is in almost like new condition, and it has only 28,000 miles on it.

But there’s another thing: the interior of the vehicle is the one of a Limited version in the whole sense: sync 2 with 8” screen, Sony audio system, heated/conditioned leather seats, wood trims, third row electric seats (which currently don’t fold but are there), air conditioning and vents for all rows, power lift tail gate, push start…

The VIN does show up in IDS as an interceptor, so there's that as well. But, I'm not even sure what version I have any more... The acceleration does feel snappy and punchy, and it has been great on the road! The brake rotors are big, which is the only thing I can notice different from other models I've seen.

With that background, let me advance to the issues… Since having the vehicle, I’ve run the scans and everything to know what it is in there, and have gotten 2 codes: P018b and P018d (powertrain according to the manual). There’s a wrench icon that pops up some times, specially when the car starts from cold.
Also, the shift stick goes to S mode physically, but there’s nothing going on on the screen, nor the shift pallets work. There’s also a little bump after the transmission is put in reverse, normally after I release the brake.
Regarding the keyless entry, the key fob opens and closes the locks, but is not being “seen” by the car to turn on. It only works by putting it in the pocket located below the armrest in the center. The remote start does work.
The final issue is with the third row: they don’t move or do anything when activated through the switches.

The explanation as of why several things are not working might be in that we discovered that the BCM has a different vin than the original chassis, and it won’t let the IDS re-set it or program it in anyway. It corresponds (as we saw in the software) to a normal explorer from the same year. The mechanic that checked the mismatch recommended that I buy a BCM that is made for the PI, but what I see is that I might lose some of the functionality that I already have.

The final question would be, is there a way to resolve these issues, like a special programming to make the BCM fit completely into the vehicle? And, could the transmission issues be related to the bcm as well? I hope you can guide me!

Thank you all,

R.R.

Here are some pics!

GiABf9u2yj7&v=1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp47-content.icloud.jpg

ymqIEa7lIdy&v=1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp47-content.icloud.jpg

2NMO3VvAGVn&v=1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp47-content.icloud.jpg

VxgAwmQoiEB&v=1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp47-content.icloud.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One of the other important items on a PIU in addition to mileage is the number of 'idle hours'.
The pictures you posted do not look like the interior of a PIU. Most, if not all PIU have a column shifter instead of a console shifter. What I really wanted to see was what kind of badging is on the liftgate. It also does not have the typical PIU grille or wheels. Perhaps it was a supervisor's vehicle? :dunno:

First, check your VIN. "K8A" is the body code for an Interceptor. If that isn't in the VIN, it's not a PI.

Does IDS say the BCM/computer is from a PI or does your VIN reflect this? What engine does your rig have?

Let me say...great looking rig! But, there is a lot on it that isn't Interceptor. Yes, all PI come with column shift. Besides the interior, larger screen, third row seat, third row seat belts, and floor shifter....it has a roof rack, engine cover..etc. Even the exhaust tip are not what come on a PI. (I have a '16 PI and can send photos if you want to see the difference) Thinking out loud, there is structural frame work built into the rear of the PI to get it's 75MPH crash rating..that I don't believe can co-habitate with a third row seat. Regardless, it should be visible to tell. PIs also have an engine hours, and idle hours meter in the left display.

I hate to even ask, have you checked for damage history through Carfax or similar? On both the BCM and body tag?

Good afternoon JCRob:

My shop mechanic here in the Los Angeles area had a customer that was bringing him PIs and interiors/electronics/wheels/etc. from donor (READ: wrecked) retail Explorers and having him do the conversion. Could be parts from multiple donors to make a PI into a retail-clone.

He stopped this about 2 years ago as it was a LOT of work, but I saw one that was completed and it looked every bit as good as yours does. For MattMPA: they even would retro the exhaust, down to small details. For the 3rd row seating, there are a few threads in here on how to add one to a PI, for example.

I think he did about 10-12 of them, but decided to stop as the process was a lot of labor, particularly wiring up everything to work correctly like the seats. I also know my guy doesn't have access to IDS and won't do ForSCAN, not to say that he did this one; simply to say that programming was not part of the work he did.

Just my $ 0.02 here to say that there are people doing PI > Retail conversions on a small to medium scale, and as far as I know, my mechanic's customer continued the conversions elsewhere.

On a side note, isn't Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic? Could you have an export version of the Ex that we don't have in North America (of course, if it was sold new there) ?

nathan

Good afternoon JCRob:

My shop mechanic here in the Los Angeles area had a customer that was bringing him PIs and interiors/electronics/wheels/etc. from donor (READ: wrecked) retail Explorers and having him do the conversion. Could be parts from multiple donors to make a PI into a retail-clone.

He stopped this about 2 years ago as it was a LOT of work, but I saw one that was completed and it looked every bit as good as yours does. For MattMPA: they even would retro the exhaust, down to small details. For the 3rd row seating, there are a few threads in here on how to add one to a PI, for example.

I think he did about 10-12 of them, but decided to stop as the process was a lot of labor, particularly wiring up everything to work correctly like the seats. I also know my guy doesn't have access to IDS and won't do ForSCAN, not to say that he did this one; simply to say that programming was not part of the work he did.

Just my $ 0.02 here to say that there are people doing PI > Retail conversions on a small to medium scale, and as far as I know, my mechanic's customer continued the conversions elsewhere.

On a side note, isn't Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic? Could you have an export version of the Ex that we don't have in North America (of course, if it was sold new there) ?

nathan
...my concern exactly....

First, check your VIN. "K8A" is the body code for an Interceptor. If that isn't in the VIN, it's not a PI.

Does IDS say the BCM/computer is from a PI or does your VIN reflect this? What engine does your rig have?

Let me say...great looking rig! But, there is a lot on it that isn't Interceptor. Yes, all PI come with column shift. Besides the interior, larger screen, third row seat, third row seat belts, and floor shifter....it has a roof rack, engine cover..etc. Even the exhaust tip are not what come on a PI. (I have a '16 PI and can send photos if you want to see the difference) Thinking out loud, there is structural frame work built into the rear of the PI to get it's 75MPH crash rating..that I don't believe can co-habitate with a third row seat. Regardless, it should be visible to tell. PIs also have an engine hours, and idle hours meter in the left display.

I hate to even ask, have you checked for damage history through Carfax or similar? On both the BCM and body tag?
Like what Matt says on the structural.... There is a large brace in front of the spare tire (hard to miss) and it would be hard to believe a true Interceptor could/would be built without that. Of course it could have been removed, but you would still see all the mounting holes.

Hello! New member and reader here. I come here to find some wisdom!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a 2016 Ford Explorer which immediately I learned was the Police Interceptor version. Until that moment, I’ve never heard anybody near me that had this version as a “regular” vehicle. Since the PI versions have the use of police departments, I was kind of worried that the vehicle might exhibit that sort of wear and tear, but it wasn’t the case. The car is in almost like new condition, and it has only 28,000 miles on it.

But there’s another thing: the interior of the vehicle is the one of a Limited version in the whole sense: sync 2 with 8” screen, Sony audio system, heated/conditioned leather seats, wood trims, third row electric seats (which currently don’t fold but are there), air conditioning and vents for all rows, power lift tail gate, push start…

The VIN does show up in IDS as an interceptor, so there's that as well. But, I'm not even sure what version I have any more... The acceleration does feel snappy and punchy, and it has been great on the road! The brake rotors are big, which is the only thing I can notice different from other models I've seen.

With that background, let me advance to the issues… Since having the vehicle, I’ve run the scans and everything to know what it is in there, and have gotten 2 codes: P018b and P018d (powertrain according to the manual). There’s a wrench icon that pops up some times, specially when the car starts from cold.
Also, the shift stick goes to S mode physically, but there’s nothing going on on the screen, nor the shift pallets work. There’s also a little bump after the transmission is put in reverse, normally after I release the brake.
Regarding the keyless entry, the key fob opens and closes the locks, but is not being “seen” by the car to turn on. It only works by putting it in the pocket located below the armrest in the center. The remote start does work.
The final issue is with the third row: they don’t move or do anything when activated through the switches.

The explanation as of why several things are not working might be in that we discovered that the BCM has a different vin than the original chassis, and it won’t let the IDS re-set it or program it in anyway. It corresponds (as we saw in the software) to a normal explorer from the same year. The mechanic that checked the mismatch recommended that I buy a BCM that is made for the PI, but what I see is that I might lose some of the functionality that I already have.

The final question would be, is there a way to resolve these issues, like a special programming to make the BCM fit completely into the vehicle? And, could the transmission issues be related to the bcm as well? I hope you can guide me!

Thank you all,

R.R.

Here are some pics!

View attachment 423976

View attachment 423977
View attachment 423978
View attachment 423979
Pm the VIN to me, I can get the as built and window sticker

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One of the other important items on a PIU in addition to mileage is the number of 'idle hours'.
The pictures you posted do not look like the interior of a PIU. Most, if not all PIU have a column shifter instead of a console shifter. What I really wanted to see was what kind of badging is on the liftgate. It also does not have the typical PIU grille or wheels. Perhaps it was a supervisor's vehicle? :dunno:

Thank you very much. I'm liking that supervisor's vehicle idea!
Have to check that idle hours thing... Although the vehicle does feel very smooth thankfully. If you’re referring to the ”interceptor” badge or the sorts, it doesn’t have either. The carfax info I have reported one minor incident. Maybe it was in the back?

Thanks! The vin on it does start with 1FM5K8Axxxxxxx, so I guess it started its life as a PI? I say it like that because now I understand that none of them come with that kind of interior out of manufacturing. The carfax of the chassis only reports a minor incident, @120 miles on it.

Good afternoon JCRob:

nathan

You’re right (I’m in/from DR)! I‘ve had to learn so much in this month about it that is kind of funny. I tease about it being the sheriff’s version, because I had a hard time understanding that someone will go through all of the trouble of stripping the whole interior, and exchanging it from a “donor” limited version. So it seems it was imported with all the changes made in US, but I don’t know for sure. It even has the front-facing camera. To be honest, now that I’ve experienced the power of this motor, the efficiency of the brakes, and enjoying that with such a nice interior, I love it...

Like what Matt says on the structural.... There is a large brace in front of the spare tire (hard to miss) and it would be hard to believe a true Interceptor could/would be built without that. Of course it could have been removed, but you would still see all the mounting holes.

I'll check into that then.

Pm the VIN to me, I can get the as built and window sticker
Thank you very much! We’ve managed to make the push start work as normal, along with the keyless entry. Also, the third row now folds and does everything it’s supposed to. The hill descent is enabled as well, with all modes of terrain activating as one scrolls through the central console wheel. I haven’t tried them in real conditions, but they show up on screen when engaged... One thing to note is that we’ve done all of that programming through Forscan, and through the other computer’s vin that shows up from the other modules.

The only thing I’m missing is the Sport mode, which doesn’t operate still (nor the paddle shifters). Is there a way to gain that function?

Thank you all for your warm welcoming!

R.R.

The first one is for your PIU, the second is for the donor car, that was apparently an export vehicle, you will need some modules reprogrammed with your correct VIN for starters, I also suspect that there was more than one donor car for your conversion, as the second VIN comes back as a base model.

Attachments

• windowsticker PI VIN.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • windowsticker DONOR FOR PIU.pdf
    921.7 KB · Views: 71

The first one is for your PIU, the second is for the donor car, that was apparently an export vehicle, you will need some modules reprogrammed with your correct VIN for starters, I also suspect that there was more than one donor car for your conversion, as the second VIN comes back as a base model.

Thank you for that info! We tried programming every module with the vin from my chassis, but in doing that I was losing many features. The way we “succeeded” was by applying an As built that had them, and changing some bits around. For example, we couldn’t get the third row to move until we changed some bits in the module, and so on.

Still, I’m getting the wrench icon message when the vehicle comes… Does anyone has a spreadsheet with the functions in every module? I’ve seen some but are mostly basic stuff (which is great as well).

R.R.

Back