• Register Today It's free!

Interchangeability of body parts?

unioncreek

Reaction score
City, State
southeastern WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4x4
My son bought a 93 Explorer Sport 2 door that needs the hood, front fender and bumper replaces on. My local pull and save salvage yard has 15 first generation Explorer in their yard. Will the body parts for any year of the first generation Explorer fit on the 93?

Thanks,
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think from the firewall forward they ( 91-94) are the same as 4 door explorers.

Good luck! You might even find panels which are the same color if you look hard enough.

I'm with Turdle, pretty sure they're all the same in the nose as long as it's a 1st gen Explorer. Ranger parts are different in the hood and fenders but the bumper is the same, grill width is the same.

Yes they will fit. Biggest difference is holes in the bottom of the fender for the "Tupperware" plastics on the rockers of most 93-94 trucks.

15 first generation explorers in one yard! That is a real blessing. We used to have that here, but after cash for clunkers you cant even find 2nd gens. I'm sure the yard was stuffed for a few months until they crushed them all. I was down to one very nice first gen that I pulled a lot of parts off of until they crushed that one too to keep a profit after scrap prices imploded. The whole yard is empty except some newer vehicles and old collectors.

I'm with Turdle, pretty sure they're all the same in the nose as long as it's a 1st gen Explorer. Ranger parts are different in the hood and fenders but the bumper is the same, grill width is the same.

Really? I was looking at this the other day. LMC Truck lists the same part number for both Explorer and Ranger (up to 92) hoods. Not saying you're wrong. But I'll have to pay attention if/when I need a replacement hood

Really? I was looking at this the other day. LMC Truck lists the same part number for both Explorer and Ranger (up to 92) hoods. Not saying you're wrong. But I'll have to pay attention if/when I need a replacement hood

I'm pretty sure the hoods are the same. There are minor differences in the fenders, and I'm no sure what those are. Could just be how they mount.

I'm pretty sure. I pulled new (better condition anyway) headlights off a Ranger that was very similar color. I was going to remove the hood & fenders since mine's been wrecked but noticed the shapes were different. The hood might not be different but the fenders for sure are. The windshield and cowl is different, I know that for sure.

I'm pretty sure. I pulled new (better condition anyway) headlights off a Ranger that was very similar color. I was going to remove the hood & fenders since mine's been wrecked but noticed the shapes were different. The hood might not be different but the fenders for sure are. The windshield and cowl is different, I know that for sure.

I had an 89 ranger for about 8 months. I remember comparing them, but I just cannot remember what the differences were. That's been about 13 years ago now I ran the explorer grill on it for a bit for something different. Made the truck look much better in my opinion.

92EXP4X4,

I see your have a 62 Fairlane 500. I have a 62 Galaxie 500 XL, my uncle bought it new and I've owned it for about 8 years.

Bob

15 first generation explorers in one yard!

He called while at the pull and save yard. They had the same two door sport in the same color at his. Bought the hood, fender and headlight/blinker for $120. Told him he was pretty lucky.

Bob

92EXP4X4,

I see your have a 62 Fairlane 500. I have a 62 Galaxie 500 XL, my uncle bought it new and I've owned it for about 8 years.

Bob
Very cool. My car is red white a white top and it has the 221 c.i. Winsor V8. My dad traded a Buick straight 8 engine and dynaflow transmission for the car. We have had it since 94. I learned a lot form my dad going through this car and getting it running when I was little. There are lots of good memories with this car!

Interesting enough, yesterday I saw an 89 Ranger. I looked over the front fenders and realized the difference. There is a body line crease that runs along the top side of the fender that matches the door. The explorers body sides are much more smooth and does not have this pronounced crease. This would be the spot where a factory tape stripe would be installed. It appears also, that the wheel house has a slightly different profile to it. I bet they would bolt up fine, but the body lines would not match, and you might catch the door on the high spot of the crease of the fender when opening it.

Very cool. My car is red white a white top and it has the 221 c.i. Winsor V8. My dad traded a Buick straight 8 engine and dynaflow transmission for the car. We have had it since 94. I learned a lot form my dad going through this car and getting it running when I was little. There are lots of good memories with this car!
I remember when I was four or five, we went to visit my aunt and uncle. I rode on the console between the bucket seats.

Bob

I remember when I was four or five, we went to visit my aunt and uncle. I rode on the console between the bucket seats.

Bob

It's cool you have those memories and the car involved. I will keep mine as long as possible. Hopefully the next generation will value it like I do.

Back