interchangeability of parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interchangeability of parts

penelhum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford PI
I have a 2015 police interceptor utility that I need to start working on. I need a bunch of vehicle parts and will now start scavenging.
With the 5th generation of Ford Explorers, are the parts going to be interchangeable between years and trim?

The 2 major components I seek are:
-headlight assembly LEFT/RIGHT
-front and rear seats (leather)

other minor parts include:
-interior front/rear door panels, including trunk
-driver/passenger mirrors
-floor center console. (im pretty sure i'll be fine with the console, if its anything like the taurus.)

ive called various junkyards that state they have what i need, and they have everything from 2011 Base trim to 2015+ Sport trims. i dont want to spend money on a part i cant use for my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The headlights are sometimes different (mostly clear turn signal lenses for PIUs which have the headlight emergency lighting solutions), but appear to be completely interchangeable.

As far as I know, the passenger seats in PIUs are always basic manual seats with airbags. I'm pretty sure none have the wiring for power seats.

*snipped*...
As far as I know, the passenger seats in PIUs are always basic manual seats with airbags. I'm pretty sure none have the wiring for power seats.

Can power seats be placed into a PIU. im looking to add leather seats. I wasnt sure if you were saying that the PIU does not have wiring for the power seats, or that the seats have no wiring.

thanks

You will probably find a lot of parts are interchangeable in that they will fit, but the question is whether there is any other work required to make them work. I have one PIU that has manual passenger seat and one that has 6-way power passenger seat - I haven't looked to see what wiring is different between them.

Retail headlights will more than likely fit and bolt in the PIU, but you may need to change some things in Forscan for them to work properly.

All the rest of the parts you list will more than likely work also, but again, depending on what features they have vs your vehicle, you may have to do some extra work.

Can power seats be placed into a PIU. im looking to add leather seats. I wasnt sure if you were saying that the PIU does not have wiring for the power seats, or that the seats have no wiring.

thanks

Both. I believe there's a thread on here somewhere in which someone added a DIY power wire to allow a power XLT passenger seat to work.

I got 2nd row leather seats message me if your intrested

I have a power driver's seat that is cloth in my 2015 PIU, but the front passenger is all manual.

I have a bunch of misc parts left from mine that I need to get rid of I have a left piu headlight. I have nice black front door panels. I have a full center console from an xlt . I have the whole 3rd row cargo are. Police option no seat.

Do yo
I have a bunch of misc parts left from mine that I need to get rid of I have a left piu headlight. I have nice black front door panels. I have a full center console from an xlt . I have the whole 3rd row cargo are. Police option no seat.
do you have the seat belt mechanism for the third row. If so Message me

Do yo
do you have the seat belt mechanism for the third row. If so Message me
No I used the third row items for mine all the parts I have are for a piu .

The headlights are sometimes different (mostly clear turn signal lenses for PIUs which have the headlight emergency lighting solutions), but appear to be completely interchangeable.

I have a 2014 PIU and it definitely has a Drivers side power seat!

Back