Intercooler cover on Sport? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooler cover on Sport?

Let's not go and start throwing logic into the mix now... That would be the sensible way to approach it. With the Flex and SHO already running the engine, it would be thought that this was already done.:dunno:

:D:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hate to break Dan's heart but I had over 8oz or oil/water mix come out my stock F150 intercooler when I installed the ATP one a couple weeks ago. There is a condensation issue and possibly a tune issue.

Hate to break Dan's heart but I had over 8oz or oil/water mix come out my stock F150 intercooler when I installed the ATP one a couple weeks ago. There is a condensation issue and possibly a tune issue.

Sounds like we need an oil seperator

vetch and Ryan, might benefit some from reading this and just for the heck of it take their intercoolers out and try draining them.....they might be surprised. But then, it appears to me, they are certain that the motors and intercoolers are so different or that it's just the "tune" causing the problems that they can't see the forest for the trees....could be either, could be both, but I'm sticking with the root cause is condensation and moisture inside the intercooler..........best regards Plum

vetch and Ryan, might benefit some from reading this and just for the heck of it take their intercoolers out and try draining them.....they might be surprised. But then, it appears to me, they are certain that the motors and intercoolers are so different or that it's just the "tune" causing the problems that they can't see the forest for the trees....could be either, could be both, but I'm sticking with the root cause is condensation and moisture inside the intercooler..........best regards Plum

Not sure why you lumped me in here as I actually think there is a moisture issue...but you can continue to school me! Have you checked your IC yet :D

And yet plenty of us have seen eerily similar stuttering and stalling....but hey, i'm sure its in now way related to moisture in the IC!

I guess this is why I thought you might benefit from reading the above post.

That is a truck. We do not drive F150's. They have a completely different powertrain and a completely different intercooler. They also have their own set of issues unrelated to ours.

Here is KenB's take on it, posts 113-119:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382790&page=6

I'm wondering if the condensation is coming from PCV oil vapor. Catch cans I've seen in the past always had water and oil residue in them. I've pulled a couple of the boost hoses to reseat them and they have a good oil coating inside more than likely from the PCV. That oil water sludge would be a prime candidate for misfires and other problems.

Sounds like we need an oil seperator

catch can?
2 weeks worth
417C0570-1227-4DBA-9155-F0250864D0E5.jpg

Intercooler cover

Anyone know if the 2016 Xport has the cover over the Intercooler? I can't really tell through the grill. Does the grill have to be removed to get to it?

That plastic piece is to direct air into the intake while driving, hints why the air intake is right above it.
Anyone know why Ford covered approximately 81 cubic inches of the driver side intercooler core with a stick on plastic piece preventing air from flowing through that section? It's just an adhesive backed plastic rectangle stuck to the intercooler front and could be peeled off fairly easy increasing the cooling capcity. Just wonder the purpose of it.
ebbea5ca68eb8e784fef8377e630ba3f.jpg

653930a87eb02f3741682bf596f4b444.jpg

4615605a71716508304c92506d5ca614.jpg
Anyone know why Ford covered approximately 81 cubic inches of the driver side intercooler core with a stick on plastic piece preventing air from flowing through that section? It's just an adhesive backed plastic rectangle stuck to the intercooler front and could be peeled off fairly easy increasing the cooling capcity. Just wonder the purpose of it.
ebbea5ca68eb8e784fef8377e630ba3f.jpg

653930a87eb02f3741682bf596f4b444.jpg

4615605a71716508304c92506d5ca614.jpg

That plastic piece is to direct air into the intake while driving, hints why the air intake is right above it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter
Thanks man, I just figured I would chime in on that plastic piece, and whoever decided to take it off may have done more harm than good. Normally stuff like that is there for a reason..

Back