• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Interesting engine thumping Noise at 62k:

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a sort of 'thumping' noise at idle after engine is warm. I noticed it being somewhat pronounced at 62K. My son described it as a thumping vs ticking( not ticking) or clicking more of a whamp, whamp.. Anyone? ( Oh I change my fully synthetic high mileage oil at every 5k like clock work and use ONLY Ford factory filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

drudis

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia (Metro-Detroit)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Coolant can make volcano noises... that sounds like thumping.

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Drudis. do you mean like overheating? or perhaps air in the coolant?

drudis

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia (Metro-Detroit)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Yeah , more like overheating. Just throwing that out there... at least something to look at.

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hmm I appreciate that but no not overheating and more a rhythmic wump wump wump on idle.. in neutral.. no clatters or tics.. I may stop by the dealer and see if they have heard anything like it.. Surly hope it isnt anything for sure as I am at 64k just outside warranty.. argh.

Odrapnew

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Does it change with RPM?
Is it more pronounced inside/outside vehicle?
Can you pinpoint area under hood?

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Odrapnew, Yes it picks up with engine RPM and disappears or is over powered if you will by regular engine sound. It is harder to hear outside the car but is in the engine compartment but seems a bit stronger on the passenger bckside of motor.

RhinoQuartz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer Base
Odrapnew, Yes it picks up with engine RPM and disappears or is over powered if you will by regular engine sound. It is harder to hear outside the car but is in the engine compartment but seems a bit stronger on the passenger bckside of motor.
Random guess but could it be something to do with the timing chain or water pump or something with that part of the engine?

Tsuga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Sport
I am hearing something too on our 13 sport. It is very audible if the engine is warm or after a long drive. It is very pronounced when you come a stop while driving and changes with engine speed. The sound comes from the passenger side of the engine and It also drowns out by engine noise as you drive faster. It's like listen to your own heartbeats, if you don't pay attention, you won't hear it, but once you noticed it, you can't stop. The sound persist even after and oil change at the dealer.

Last edited:

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Tsuga,
How many miles on your ride? do you have the Turbo version?

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Mine is Turbo as well.I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow see if they can give it a listen and determine anything or provide any advice

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
Mine has been making a wump, wump, rattle, tap, tap noise at lower engine speeds sometimes followed by a cla-chunk that sounds like it's coming from the trans just as the vehicle stops. It also makes a pfft pfft pffffffft noise under heavy acceleration.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Mine has been making a wump, wump, rattle, tap, tap noise at lower engine speeds sometimes followed by a cla-chunk that sounds like it's coming from the trans just as the vehicle stops. It also makes a pfft pfft pffffffft noise under heavy acceleration.
Kind of makes me wish you could have posted an audio clip of you making the sounds.:D

Peter

Jeff Hen

Reaction score
City, State
mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 sport
Mine is Turbo as well.I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow see if they can give it a listen and determine anything or provide any advice
I am curious to hear
I have a 2014 explorer sport with 83000 miles and it has the exact same symptoms as yours. I brought it to the dealer this morning but they can't get it in until
I am hearing something too on our 13 sport. It is very audible if the engine is warm or after a long drive. It is very pronounced when you come a stop while driving and changes with engine speed. The sound comes from the passenger side of the engine and It also drowns out by engine noise as you drive faster. It's like listen to your own heartbeats, if you don't pay attention, you won't hear it, but once you noticed it, you can't stop. The sound persist even after and oil change at the dealer.
I have a 2014 explorer with 83000 miles on it and it has the same symptoms as yours. I scheduled an appointment at my dealer but can't get in for over a week. I'd love to hear if anyone has found out what the problem is and I will be happy to post my findings as well.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum Jeff.:wave:

Peter

Tsuga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer, Sport
I am curious to hear

I have a 2014 explorer sport with 83000 miles and it has the exact same symptoms as yours. I brought it to the dealer this morning but they can't get it in until

I have a 2014 explorer with 83000 miles on it and it has the same symptoms as yours. I scheduled an appointment at my dealer but can't get in for over a week. I'd love to hear if anyone has found out what the problem is and I will be happy to post my findings as well.
Let us know what is the cause. I can’t bring mine in until another week.

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Mine is going in on Thursday this week for the tech to get underneath it etc. So we will see what is up. Ill see if I can record it when it is running so it is noticable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jeff Hen

Reaction score
City, State
mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 sport
I brought mine into the dealer this morning and they just called and informed my that my timing chain is stretched and a guide for it is broken. They recommended a new chain, guide, and water pump for a total of about $3000. I still hope to hear from anyone else to see if they got the same diagnosis.