offroader_69_me

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trinidad, Crawlorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I received this in an email, and I thought it was important to spread around. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington. The findings are as follows......

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, suv's, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11th attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New York Police Dept. *Proud to say that my grandparents store in Texas raised over $100,000 thru there store and Harley Owners Group!

5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi- Nothing.

8. BMW- Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat- Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.

14. Nissan- Nothing.

15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001. Condolences posted on the website

Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based company. Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States. It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it is
apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets their attention.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
This corporate behavour deserves being rewarded - be sure to buy American....

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
though, those are some "interesting facts" just like i expected from the title of the thread, when it comes time for me buy a new vehicle, im not gonna buy a vehicle from a company, simply because they donated money to a 9-11-01 related fund. its nice that some companies did that, but im not going to deny myself a superior product, based on a totally irrelevant fact. im not saying that american made vehicles are inferior (obviously i love fords), but im just saying, if ford starts to really go downhill, i might look around to foreign companies...maybe. i mean, where do we draw the line?...you could also say that chrysler donated 10 times as much as ford; keep that in mind the next time you go vehicle shopping.

my $0.02

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
How many new vehicles, either domestic or foreign, have you purchased?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Originally posted by aldive
How many new vehicles, either domestic or foreign, have you purchased?

myself?...just one (gimme a break, im only 22), my explorer (actually, my parents make the monthly payments - when my 1st explorer died, they let me pick whatever i wanted, within reason. i also looked at the grand cherokee and the 4runenr at the time), but ive been brought up in both. my family has gone thru 5 explorers since 91, my parents have had corvettes, pontiacs, bmws, nissans, and toyotas since as long as i can remember.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
All I was trying to say is that is easy to stand on a computer soapbox and make bold statements; much easier than it is to put your signature on a bill of sale for that new car.

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
Originally posted by aldive
All I was trying to say is that is easy to stand on a computer soapbox and make bold statements; much easier than it is to put your signature on a bill of sale for that new car.

well, that doesnt really apply to me. im an engineer with extreme political views; no amount of "patriotism" is gonna persuade me to buy an inferior product. are you trying to tell me that you feel such peer pressure when buying a new car, that youll always buy an american vehicle?

and if you ever met me in real life, you would see that i just dont go making random bold statements without backing them up. what you see, is what you get (or in the case of this site, what you read, is what you get.)

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
Man if Toyota only made a vehicle as big as a Expedition or an Excursion! That would be the desired vehicle by me! At least it would last well beyond 100k miles. As far as that buy american statement, um most vehicles are no longer really all 100% american. Doh... LOL At the same time that may be a good thing. Keeps the cost of the vehicles down at times. DC is not an american vendor yet look at how much they donated. Ford and chevy should be ashamed of themselfs. I guess Ford is to busy donating to the greenies.