• Register Today It's free!

Interesting(sort of)

Elfiero

Reaction score
City, State
Golden valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I just did a cursory look thru the posts and when someone posts a request for help with a problem and clearly states they are out of warranty, most every relevant answer says: “take it to the dealer”. Doesn’t anyone work on their own car anymore?

If you actually did a thorough look you’d see tons of guys here keeping their now antique trucks running just fine themselves.

I also think the only people recommending me the dealer have warranties themselves, and that the majority of “relevant” posts point to the item that needs replaced, or recommends an independent local shop.

Today's modern vehicles have can have several complex electronic features that may require specialized diagnostic equipment. Equipment the average owner doesn't have. There have been posts where a member has taken their Explorer to an independent repair shop only to be told to go to the dealership. Notwithstanding that my vehicles are always under warranty, at my age I have neither the tools nor inclination to do much more than detail the vehicle every now and then. Gone are the days when I used to perform minor repairs and replacement of certain parts.
As Mbrooks420 stated, there are many members that work not only on their older vehicles but also have done the internal water pump and timing chain replacements themselves as well as brake and suspension repairs.

Peter

Back