• Register Today It's free!

Interesting warranty bind

grendel75

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddie 4.6
I bought a 02 Explorer back in 2008 and after a couple of days the transmission blew out. The dealer replaced the transmission with a ford reman. unit free of charge. Now, 2 years and 30,000 miles later the transmission has kicked it again. Ford offers a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on reman. transmissions so I thought I was good.

I contacted my new local dealer (I moved half-way across the country) and emailed them the invoices I had showing the work that was done. According to the 2nd dealer, there is an issue with the 1st dealer paying for the repairs that might exclude me from the 3 year warranty and, instead, give me 1 year 12,000.

That's what I don't understand. How can the same transmission done with the same labor have a different warranty? What should I do to keep me from be shafted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 02 Explorer back in 2008 and after a couple of days the transmission blew out. The dealer replaced the transmission with a ford reman. unit free of charge. Now, 2 years and 30,000 miles later the transmission has kicked it again. Ford offers a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on reman. transmissions so I thought I was good.

I contacted my new local dealer (I moved half-way across the country) and emailed them the invoices I had showing the work that was done. According to the 2nd dealer, there is an issue with the 1st dealer paying for the repairs that might exclude me from the 3 year warranty and, instead, give me 1 year 12,000.

That's what I don't understand. How can the same transmission done with the same labor have a different warranty? What should I do to keep me from be shafted?

Ford has a customer remediation group to address issues such as yours. Their numbers/addresses are printed in Ford Owners' Manuals which accompany new cars sold. If you have no manual, ask for the information at a local Ford Dealer. Also, an on-line search of perhaps "Ford Motor Customer SErvice.com" might help.

My experience with Ford Reman. transmissions has indicated they are probably more carefully rebuilt than most; mine came with a 3-year, 36,000 mi. warranty, which was never needed. It is unfortunate you have been run-around. Seek help! imp

Reman transmissions warranty 3yrs/36months is from Ford Motors. I believe it covers only the transmission. The 3ys /100K doesn't seem right.Labor is not included.
If installed by Ford Dealer the labor is usually warranted for 12 months (see back of your receipt). So you have two part warranty 1) transmission (Ford Motor) and 2) labor from installing dealership. Sounds like the trans may be covered and you may have to pick up the labor at your new dealership.
Good Luck and keep us informed.

Got my tranmission taken care of by Ford. The service rep kept in in suspense because she got two different responses from two of her managers. One manager stuck with 1/12 warranty the othe said 3/100,000. I think the later was higher up in the "food-chain of managers" cause that was the end result.

They said that the intermidate band had worn on the reman. unit and it was a freak occurance. The downside is that the warranty extends from the original warranty date only which was in 08. So my new tranny only has 1 year left on it's warranty. Kinda feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb.

interesting, well at least you got this one covered. you should have better luck with this one.

ps - if you've got a v6 it is a 4.0 and a v8 is a 4.6 there's no 4.2 (in looking at your post info on the left side under your username) :)

1year 12k miles is if the dealer overhauled the transmission,

3 years if the swapped the unit out.

It's swapped out, but the warranty only extends from the previous reman. transmission.

Typo on my profile.

It's swapped out, but the warranty only extends from the previous reman. transmission.

Typo on my profile.

that's correct since its a warranty of a warranty it will expire the time frame of the original install date.

Back