• Register Today It's free!

Interior A-Pillar covers

JosERW

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport*soon*
I have a rattling noise coming from what I think might be the interior A-pillar cover on the passenger side (the front one with the grab handle). I was just wondering if anybody knew what part# this was (charcoal black interior) and if I needed any other parts besides the cover to replace... the cover. Thanks.

Also if anybody knows how to remove and replace the cover and could guide me through it that'd be great too. There is also a gap between the A-Pillar and the dash which I believe there is supposed to be Velcro there. How do I replace the Velcro too? Thanks again!

- Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been noticing this noise lately.

Is there supposed to be Velcro or something between the A-pillar trim and the dash. I have a gap between mine.

Is there supposed to be Velcro or something between the A-pillar trim and the dash. I have a gap between mine.
Mine doesn't have the velcro.

Someone posted that there is a defect on the windshield cowl and air possibly enters through it. I looked at this plastic cowl and there is a gap between the windshield and the cowl. I'll bring it up with the dealer.

I meant on the interior of the vehicle. Where the A-pillar trim (the plastic pieces on the sides of the windshield; the passenger side has the handle attached) meets the dash. There is about a 1/8" gap. My friend's Ex doesn't have this and the pieces align nice and neat. Any ideas?

I just took possession of a brand new 2014 Limited, yesterday.

I did notice on this car the passenger side A pillar cover doesn't fit well where it meets the dash surface - there's a small gap there. The drivers side cover fits perfectly.

I noticed there are a few other new EX's on this dealer's lot that share this same little fit-up problem on the passenger side A-pillar cover.

Velcro is not used to hold this piece in place. The cover does have a vertically oriented tab on its lower edge that needs to fit into a receiving slot in the dash. On my car this tab is not engaging the slot correctly.

My car will be going in to the service department on Monday to see if they can correct the fit, or if a new cover will have to be ordered. I think there's some kind of issue with this piece and how it fits... but if its not right I do see how it could rattle.

Easy to remove. Just pull down the door weatherstripping that covers the pillar then pull at the top of the pillar. It has 3 metal standard spring type clips. once those are loose you pull the pillar up and toward you to remove the panel. The bottom has 2 plastic tabs that just slip into small groves in the dash. Super simple removal, no tools needed. took me less then a minute.

Thanks!! I'll try that.

Edit: The 2014 EX has a passenger grab handle mounted over the A-pillar cover. That grab handle must be removed before the cover can be taken out. The job was easy, as described. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to improve the fit of the piece. So we'll have the dealer order a new part.

The tabs appear to be in the correct slots but there is still a gap? What could be causing this?

Back