• Register Today It's free!

interior bulb change - need help

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
I am trying to convert the interior lights in our Explorer to LED. I thought for sure I could find a DIY, but am having no luck with my searching.

So, first question how do I change the bulbs in the front dome light? I popped the cover off, but the bulbs are off to the side behind a metal reflector. Does that whole console need to come down? If so how?

For the puddle lights in the mirrors, assuming the plastic cap just pops off, are they just brittle? I started prying one and it seems as though it will break really easily.

Any other tips? The trunk and back seat lights were easy to change.

Thanks.

The whole console needs to come down. Its pretty easy to do. There should just be one screw in the front compartment. The console should drop down after you take it out.

I used a flathead screwdriver to remove the covers off my puddle lights. Just take your time and if you think its going to break, stop.

i wouldnt mind doing this on my 2006 ex. Where did you get your leds just curious

i wouldnt mind doing this on my 2006 ex. Where did you get your leds just curious

Picked them up from eBay (hoping no issues with cheaper leds). The biggest problem I had was the mounting terminals were slightly larger on the stock bulbs. I just used pliers to squeeze them gently around the led for a better fit. I can post the seller later, but search for 21 led interior kit for an explorer and you should find it. The kit includes license plate bulbs, and 4 spare.

On the interior I just have the glovebox left to do, but my hands are too big to grab the stock bulb as it sits, on the exterior just puddle lights left, but I am trying to find spare lens as I am sure mine are going to break if I try to pry them off.

Back