How to: - Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!, I just got everthing back together and the difference in lighting is amazing. I used 6 LEDs on each map light which I think is just right... not to dim and not too bright. I bought 12 of them from Superbrightleds. com part number RL5-W8045 and they work great. Here are the specs...

Super White LEDs:
8000 mcd/45 degree
forward voltage 4.0
20ma
470ohm resistors

Awesome, glad to hear you got it working. Any pics?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry, no pics:(... however, FYI... for those who have 95-97 Explorers the reflector is different than on Explorers 98 and newer. The holder connects to the plastic reflector and must be mounted together so leave at least 8 inches of wiring so you can connect everything. I found that out the hard way:mad:
Hope this helps someone interested in doing this mod.

Great write up!

I have a question, is thee a site that shows the average light output of halogen bulb?

For example,the dome light in my other vehicle accepts a 578 type bulb,so I wanted to know the light output of that specific size bulb to determine how many/what size LEDs I would need to exceed stock performance.

Im guessing no site.? :(

Thanks great helpful info! :thumbsup:

Did you find that on a site or was it your pure knowledge?

Also,what type and size solder do you use for led work?

Thanks great helpful info! :thumbsup:

Did you find that on a site or was it your pure knowledge?

Had to look up the 194s output, but mcd to lumans yes lol

Has anyone seen lights in red before?

Just in a "red light district".

Has anyone seen lights in red before?

I have separate red lights in my overhead console. I used 2 5mm LEDs to use at night while driving, because after I did the LED conversion the dome lights were way too bright to turn on while driving. Ill get some pics and details when it gets dark. I think if you were to do the dome light conversion in red it would look nice.

k, ty, fav colors red, so my cars gunna have quite a bit of red :D

Sick Mod P51, I have a red XLT so I plan on doing this Mod with Red LED's. Plus I want to preserve my night vision.

It also makes it hard for the enemy to see you at night if you use red light instead of white light. That's key to everything.

These pics definitely made my decision to go for the blue LED's under my seats much easier. they look great dude.

Just a quick note to all the lazy people here (like myself)
I brought these lights on ebay this week link here

4ledt10white2.jpg

4ledt10white.jpg

They fit straight into the T10 light sockets already there.
and unless you plan on blinding everyone in the car, the 4 bulbs are more then bright enough.

my eyes still hurt from just doing it and looking into the lights -_-
but yeah, this way theres no mess, no fuss, just pop em in. turn em on, and you're laughing.

even better if you ever need to replace them, because you just pay another $3 on ebay, and its all good.

4ledt10white2.jpg

4ledt10white.jpg

and unless you plan on blinding everyone in the car, the 4 bulbs are more then bright enough.

but yeah, this way theres no mess, no fuss, just pop em in. turn em on, and you're laughing.

even better if you ever need to replace them, because you just pay another $3 on ebay, and its all good.

Nice little lights... I was looking for something like this to put in the two rear seat map lights, not the cargo light but the reading lights. I did the cargo lights like P51 but put an extra LED in the middle of the four LEDs. I did this with five angled toward the front and five angled toward the rear. Puts out a lot of light, but not enough to blind you.

hey mustang, when you wire the LEDs, do you just hook a resistor to the positive side, then solder all the wires together in one line and run power and ground to the same spot? or what?

4ledt10white2.jpg

4ledt10white.jpg

I was wondering if you could post some pictures at night with this style as opposed to the LED board.

hey mustang, when you wire the LEDs, do you just hook a resistor to the positive side, then solder all the wires together in one line and run power and ground to the same spot? or what?

Correct

I was wondering if you could post some pictures at night with this style as opposed to the LED board.

yeah, I'll take some and put them up tomorrow.
thinking about putting a brighter (or just more led's) in the main center light.
the 4LED bulbs are great for the reading lights on the driver and passanger side.
but after a while just doesn't seem enough to light up the whole car.

I also took the cargo light out.
and put 3 big blue led's in there.
lights up the back real nice with my sub and amp
its more for looks and show then convenience.
you probably couldnt find much with the lights.
but damn they look good.
and thats all that matters in my books ahaha
I'll take some photos of that tomorrow as well.

Back