Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

Hello, new member here and need everyone's opinion on an issue I'm having.

I have 2014 Explorer Limited that I purchased in 2015, the vehicle is a few months short of 2 years old, 40k miles, and a extended warranty.

I noticed a couple weeks ago that the top part of the door panel, right were the glass and top of the panel meet is separating. Both the drivers and passenger side. Think of when you have the window rolled all the way down, right were you would rest your arm.

So I take the vehicle in to be looked at and hopefully get a warranty fix and unfortunately I'm told its out of warranty. The cost to fix would be a few hundred dollars.

I made a call into corporate to open a claim and to see if the dealer will fix as a warranty issue. With this vehicle still under 2 yrs. and just over the 36k miles the door panels shouldn't be swelling and separating. After opening the claim and talking to the dealer they would give me a "discount" and would get back to me. No corporate help and left to the dealer to make decision.

Am I asking too much for a car this new to be repaired as what seems to be a defect?

Did anyone figure out how to fix..both doors lifted away on my 2014..can they be glued down as it appears for refuses to agknowled this is an issue..also the door jam rubber seals break away and crack in 3 years too..very disappointed in quality of this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did anyone figure out how to fix..both doors lifted away on my 2014..can they be glued down as it appears for refuses to agknowled this is an issue..also the door jam rubber seals break away and crack in 3 years too..very disappointed in quality of this vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As 308Broker mentioned, a letter went out regarding this issue. Also, have you checked your Ford account? The notice should show up there as an outstanding issue along with the Carbon Monoxide issue, FSA 17N03.

Peter

At least they agreed to fix yours. Our dealer attempted to fix mine three times and its still lifting Looks wavy.....simply. Ford will not replace my door panel.

I'm joining this club today. It's crazy how these skip around. No issues on my '13, but the driver's door panel separated on the '15 this afternoon. It was already scheduled to go to the dealer on Tuesday, so I'm adding this to the list.

I'm joining this club today. It's crazy how these skip around. No issues on my '13, but the driver's door panel separated on the '15 this afternoon. It was already scheduled to go to the dealer on Tuesday, so I'm adding this to the list.[/QUOTE

Ford finally put a recall notice out on these door panels. I got the doors on my 14 Sport last week. The dealers were all sent some kind of staple gun to cinch them down. They don't look perfect, but a hell of a lot better than they did . Both driver and passenger front door panels were separating. Check with your local dealer to see if they have the tool. some have been slow to receive one.

I’m having the SAME issue. It’s quite annoying. Mine is the driver side. Bought my 2013 XLT used last year, but did purchase a 3 year 36k warranty. As stated before, “trim” was NOT covered. Local Ford dealership quoted $247. Not bad, but I would rather pay $100 deductible haha.

Also the second repair I’m having done, backup camera. Thankfully that one is covered.

No other major issues, thankfully. I did have a recall issue fixed as well. The carbon monoxide one? I never knew about it until yesterday! They fixed it though.

I have the separation problem on the driver's door of my 2015 Sport. Called the dealer 3 weeks ago to see if a repair was covered under the extended CPO coverage and was told not it was only covered under the original warranty. A friend who is a body shop tech at a Chevy dealer told me how to take the panel off and I was going to fix it today, but ran across the TSB and discussion here so I thought I'd wait until tomorrow. I'm bring the Explorer into the dealer tomorrow because my power steering went out yesterday while driving home from a long weekend trip. Losing the steering 200 miles from home while doing 65mph is a bigger deal than some trim issue. Hopefully though I can get both fixed at the same time.

I have the separation problem on the driver's door of my 2015 Sport. Called the dealer 3 weeks ago to see if a repair was covered under the extended CPO coverage and was told not it was only covered under the original warranty. A friend who is a body shop tech at a Chevy dealer told me how to take the panel off and I was going to fix it today, but ran across the TSB and discussion here so I thought I'd wait until tomorrow. I'm bring the Explorer into the dealer tomorrow because my power steering went out yesterday while driving home from a long weekend trip. Losing the steering 200 miles from home while doing 65mph is a bigger deal than some trim issue. Hopefully though I can get both fixed at the same time.
The TSB will cover the repair under the new car warranty or ESP. Not sure if that includes a CPO. I guess you'll find out tomorrow.
As for the steering issue, check out these threads; 2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue and https://www.explorerforum.com/xenfo...teering-loss-2015-2016-explorers-only.446198/
Good luck.

Peter

I'm not sure the ESP would cover it either. I don't think trim stuff is covered outside of the bumper to bumper.
I was just going by what the TSB said since trim isn't usually covered by the ESP.
Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
You may be right Jon. Perhaps that is just a standard clause that Ford uses.

Peter

I was just going by what the TSB said since trim isn't usually covered by the ESP.
Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
You may be right Jon. Perhaps that is just a standard clause that Ford uses.

Peter

Yeah, that "not altered by a TSB" part tells me that it's not, because it's saying those normal procedures are not changed by the fact that a TSB exists.

The TSB will cover the repair under the new car warranty or ESP. Not sure if that includes a CPO. I guess you'll find out tomorrow.
As for the steering issue, check out these threads; 2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue and Power Steering Loss 2015 - 2016 Explorers Only
Good luck.

Peter
Dealer repaired the separating driver's side panel and proactively pulled the passenger's side and stapled the trim in place all under the TSB. My steering issue was checked out with no problems found. Losing power steering at speed was no fun and having it all reset leaving no trace is worrisome.

So I noticed our 2014 Explorer is having the panel cover separate at the top near the window channel. It's worse on the front drivers side but also effecting the front passenger side. I just noticed it over the weekend and this is the first place I came to see if anyone else is having issues. Car has 43K on it.

I checked our Ford account to see if there is any recall info but it says we are up to date.

Also, we had brought the car in a year or so ago to get the front window motors replaced (TSB) as it was suffering from the chattering. I don't know the process in replacing those motors but is there any chance the dealer could have sped up/cause the separation of the panel covers when they were in there replacing the window motors?

There was no recall on this problem. Recalls are for safety related issues. However, a TSB was issued for this as mentioned in this thread. It is highly unlikely that the replacement of the window motors had anything to do with this. The TSB is listed in the Forum's thread on TSB's; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's

Peter

Well I contacted Ford chat. Basically I'm SOL as far as getting the repair covered by them. I could still the dealership but I assume I'll get no where with them too. Looking at the youtube repair it doesn't look like a difficult repair. From my experience the hardest part is removing the door panels without breaking any clips.

UPDATE: Had to bring the Explorer in for a different issue but had them look at this too. Dealer fixed this at no cost to us. Said there was a recall on this and that's why it was done for free.

Aware it's an old thread, but for the record, I have 2013 LTD with the same issue, drivers side.

I've contacted the local dealership to see what they say, I do have an extended warranty from the day I purchased it, it was not a new vehicle, I still have 2 years on the warranty/\.

The Ford ESP will not cover this if it is considered as being trim or upholstery. Here is a partial quote from the ESP brochure regarding items not covered;
"Fabric, liners, fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer recalls....."

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Pete, I'm at the mercy of the dealership then :(.

What is the process to fix it myself?

Back