Interior light dimming? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior light dimming?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I'm wondering what causes the interior displays to dim when the headlight switch is turned into the on position. I like to drive with my parking lights on in the day but this causes my compass to dim which is a little annoying. Does anyone know how to disable the dimming of the compass, message center, and EATC when the switch is turned on? I posted in the modified section also but I'd like to hear some ideas here as well. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) but maybe it's some sort of resistor in the dimmer switch or headlight switch. If this is the case it should be pretty easy to modify the switch to not have the display lights dim.

FYI: If you can do this mod your display lights will be very bright at night.

I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) but maybe it's some sort of resistor in the dimmer switch or headlight switch. If this is the case it should be pretty easy to modify the switch to not have the display lights dim.

FYI: If you can do this mod your display lights will be very bright at night.

So I guess I'll have to follow the wires and look for a resistor. I don't mind if they're brighter at night. I actually like the look it just annoys me having a dim display in the daytime, especially when I'm wearing sunglasses.

If there is a resistor, I'm thinking it will be inside one of the switches. I know the dimmer switch can be taken apart, IDK about the light switch.

If there is a resistor, I'm thinking it will be inside one of the switches. I know the dimmer switch can be taken apart, IDK about the light switch.

Well in that case I'll pull a switch from the junkyard and look for a resistor inside of it. Here's to not frying any of the electronics in the process :D For all I know the dash and other lights are able to turn on due to the resistance when the light switch is activated. My other idea was to cut the wire that provides power to the display up in the roof and route it to another power source.

Back