Interior light stays on

Lmarti

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
2020 Explorer XLT

I have an interior light that seems to stay on all the time. It is inside the little cubby just beneath the SYNC display. It’s very dim and can only be seen at night or if I slide a mirror into the cubby to see the bulb. The light is always on while driving. It stays on after the vehicle is turned off and locked. I’ve checked it 10 min after locking the truck and it’s still on. Dealership says this is normal and not to worry about it anyway since it’s only one low amperage LED. Seems unusual to me that this light would be on all the time and apparently only turn off after the truck times out. Can anyone confirm that this light stays on in their vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2020 Explorer XLT

I have an interior light that seems to stay on all the time. It is inside the little cubby just beneath the SYNC display. It’s very dim and can only be seen at night or if I slide a mirror into the cubby to see the bulb. The light is always on while driving. It stays on after the vehicle is turned off and locked. I’ve checked it 10 min after locking the truck and it’s still on. Dealership says this is normal and not to worry about it anyway since it’s only one low amperage LED. Seems unusual to me that this light would be on all the time and apparently only turn off after the truck times out. Can anyone confirm that this light stays on in their vehicle?
The light will go out exactly 10 minutes after you close the door also you probably haven't noticed it but these three symbols also stay lit for 10 minutes and they will go out when the light in your cubby hole goes out. the cubby hole light and the three symbols stay lit because the power to the 3rd row seats stays on for 10 minutes after the vehicle has been turned off

The three symbols that stay lit for 10 minutes are behind the third row seat they are the right and left and both symbol for the third row power seats

The battery saver program is what turns OFF any lights left ON with the exception of the parking lamps. I've never noticed that the 3rd row switches remained illuminated after the vehicle was turned off but then I've never checked.

Peter

The battery saver program is what turns OFF any lights left ON with the exception of the parking lamps. I've never noticed that the 3rd row switches remained illuminated after the vehicle was turned off but then I've never checked.

Peter

I've noticed those switches and also sometimes either LCD screen on the dash stays on for a few moments as well.

Peter
The owner's manual states that the power to the 3rd row seats stays on 10 minutes after you close the door and that's why the switches are illuminated and the cubby hole is lit up.

The owner's manual states that the power to the 3rd row seats stays on 10 minutes after you close the door and that's why the switches are illuminated and the cubby hole is lit up.

This is the best explanation I've seen. I noticed this on mine last October shortly after taking delivery. I took it to the dealer and after checking, they told me it was normal. I looked at another ST on the lot while waiting and it did the same thing so I took the dealership's word for it. Had they mentioned what RickG posted, I wouldn't have had any lingering doubt about it.

I don't know if my Aviator does the same. Being the only one driving it, I've never had occasion to look in the back after I shut the vehicle off.

Peter

I don't know if my Aviator does the same. Being the only one driving it, I've never had occasion to look in the back after I shut the vehicle off.

Peter
Sounds like you just gave yourself a homework assignment tonight

Assignment completed. Mine also stay ON for the 10 minute duration. So does the Securicode keypad unless I use it to lock the doors. Then it turns OFF. The Aviator doesn't have the touch pad on the handles but has a lock symbol on the keypad. The symbol shows it locked or unlocked.
While waiting the 10 minute period I was able to transfer the gas from the snowblower into the lawnmower. :)

Peter

Assignment completed. Mine also stay ON for the 10 minute duration. So does the Securicode keypad unless I use it to lock the doors. Then it turns OFF. The Aviator doesn't have the touch pad on the handles but has a lock symbol on the keypad. The symbol shows it locked or unlocked.
While waiting the 10 minute period I was able to transfer the gas from the snowblower into the lawnmower. :)

Peter
A+

Back