• Register Today It's free!

Interior lighting

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
This has been bugging me for a while...but the cold weather and early sunset have pushed me too far.

When I open the doors to get in the interior lights come on as they should. As the kids are getting in, I turn the ignition and start the truck. Now the interior lights turn off despite several doors being open. If I close and reopen any door they come back on. Is this the way everyones truck operates? Is this something I overlooked in the vast menu of preferences? I don't recal anything labled "stupid light settings".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, thats normal.

that gets on my nerves as well

There must be a setting....A few days ago I had a road service call on a 2006 XLT which had a flat tire. While I was out with the vehicle, I started it with the door open and the lights stayed on! I will make this my mission for the next few weeks.

nope.... if im thinking right, its just the starting feature on the explorer. when it starts, it cuts off all electronics, except for some like headlights .... but they shouldnt stay off when the car's started. id take it to ford and tell them whats up

Honestly... it does different behaviors...

Sometimes the lights go off, some times not..

Sometimes the instruments go blank and them come back...

Sometimes the HVAC is very delayed in coming on...

Sometimes the could be all / a mix / one of the above / or NONE... :confused:

I thought it had something to do with keeping the lights off so you didn't wake the kiddies or the wifey.

Anyone who agreed with me that their interior lights turn off and dont come back on when car is started while door is open...Please let me know your build date. It seems that on Early 2006 models the lights stay on like a normal car. I have personally checked explores built 8/05, 9/05, and 10/05 and they all stay on when started with the door open. Mine was built 4/06 so I.m thinking somewhere between November 2005 and March 2006 was a small change. I would like to change mine if possible but first would like to determine when a change may have been made. Thank You.

Back